Parabatai

Shadowhunters AU.

Everyone had always assumed Jack and Alex would become parabatai but Alex asks Rian instead. When Jack asks him why the answer is the last thing he'd expected.

A quick definition of Parabatai for those who aren't familiar with Shadowhunter lore. (Taken from a Mortal Instruments fan page on Facebook.)

"Parabatai are a pair of Nephilim* warriors who fight together and are closer than siblings, regardless of their gender. They are partners who would lay down their life for the other. Being ones' parabatai is not merely a matter of promising to guard each other. The pair must stand before the Council and swear an oath to lay down their lives for each other. They are closer than blood."

*Nephilim = Shadowhunters :)

Also probably worth noting that parabatai aren't allowed to fall in love

Sweat was forming heavily on Jack's brow as he sparred with Zack. The two had been going at it for the best part of an hour and neither had gained even an inch of ground.

It was why Jack loved training with Zack, despite their difference in physical stature the pair were evenly matched when it came to one-on-one combat which meant a challenge.

"Those are gonna need sharpening again by the time you two are done." They both paused to acknowledge Rian where he stood leaning against the frame of the training room door.

"You're never gonna guess what." He grinned as he ventured further in. "What?" Jack rolled his eyes, wiping his damp face on his equally damn t-shirt. "Alex and I are going to be parabatai!"

Jack froze, his eyes widening, and his stomach clenched. "What?" Rian grinned, obviously excited. "I know! I was totally shocked too when he asked me. I always assumed you two would end up parabatai." He gave a shrug, oblivious to Jack's turmoil.

"Wow, I... congrats." Zack managed, just as surprised by the situation.
"Yeah. That's amazing." Jack mumbled despite how much the words hurt to say.

He and Alex had been best friends since the British born lad had arrived at the Baltimore institute almost ten years prior. Practically inseparable. Everyone had assumed they'd end up being parabatai, Jack included.

"Where is Alex?" Jack asked, a little peeved the brunet hadn't come to tell him himself. "Out on patrol with Lisa." Rian gave a shrug. "I gotta go call my parents." He grinned before spinning on his heels and practically bouncing out the door.

"I'm sure he's got his reasons," Zack said quietly after several moments of agonising silence. "Alex never does anything without a reason." Jack agreed though he felt numb all over.

"You gonna ask him about it?" Jack gave a shrug.
"Who am I to question his choice?" He muttered, unable to hide the bitterness he felt. "You're probably the only person with any right."