A Perfect Mess

Alex discovers that the world is a far better place than the town he grew up in and it's okay for him to be himself.

Warning: Implied Sexual Content

Coming from a small town can have its perks; community spirit, being friends with basically everyone your age, low crime rates, but it also can have its downsides; closed-mindedness, ignorance, hatred of anyone who was different.

It was the latter that was such a big part of why Alex decided to move to the other side of the country to go to college.

He'd never fit in, and he'd never been able to be himself.

No one would miss him, no matter what his mother said, and he had always wanted more from life anyway.

LA was everything he'd ever dreamed of and more. It was freedom, it was equality and rights for all, it was welcoming and exciting and fast times and fun. It was everything he'd never had, and Alex had never felt so at home.

He made real friends and they lived together and had more fun in one day than Alex had had in the eighteen years prior. It was almost like he could forget Towson even existed.

Some things couldn't be shaken so easily though.

The first time he'd seen a gay couple kissing he'd choked on his coffee and been unable to stop himself watching them.

He hadn't meant to act so weird, but he'd never seen it before. He could practically hear his mother's horrified shrieks in the back of his head. There's a special place in hell for people who engage in such unnatural practices. Disgusting!

Alex had never believed in heaven or hell but that didn't mean he wasn't utterly terrified.

The town had suspected an older guy who'd lived alone at the edge of the community of being gay and a group of the men had gotten together and beaten him to within an inch of his life. Alex did not want that to be his fate.

He'd always been pretty content on his own, he didn't need to be in a relationship with anyone to be happy. He'd just figured he'd spend his life surrounded by close friends and be a cool uncle or something.

Then he met Jack, and everything changed.

Jack was a friend of Rian's, he'd shown up at the house to audition for the band and had swept Alex off his feet in the process.

He had a childish sense of humour but an excellent taste in music, he was a dork but outgoing and didn't give a damn what anyone thought of him. He was kind of cute and a huge flirt and Alex's stomach had been tied up in so many knots he'd been paranoid he was going to throw up the entire practice.

He hadn't been able to stop thinking about him after that and had had several panic attacks thinking about all the time they'd be spending together once he'd officially joined the band. He was fucked.