Chapter 12

"Witchcraft has been around for centuries. Their origins are unknown but there are various forms of magic. In your past life when you died, you were untapped, meaning that you didn't connect with your witch side," Dr Martin explained to Jeremy when they had settled down into the apartment. Jeremy listened intently to what the man had to say.

"So, when I was reborn I now have my powers?" he asked tentatively. Luka perked up and nodded his head. "Yep!" he said, emphasising the 'p' Elijah chuckled softly at the lad's enthusiasm. The young Martin witch was completely something else unlike his serious father.

So what source or sources can I draw my power from?" he asked somewhat tentatively. Luka spoke up again. "From nature. Us witches hold a deep connection to nature as we are the servants of nature, if that makes sense. For example, we can draw our power from the elements, which are fire, water, earth and air." he said with a soft laugh. "Many things can fuel a witch's power, for example anger" Dr Martin added. Jeremy hummed softly and nodded his head.

"So that's why I caused my living room to almost engulf in flames completely," he said more to himself but the others heard him. Luka gave a snort. "You did what?!" he asked with shock and indignation. Dr Martin's eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "How did you manage to do that, son?"

Jeremy rubbed the back of his neck in embarrassment. "Well, I found out that someone who I trusted had betrayed that trust and when I confronted them, I managed to set things alight in my living room. Then everything went black" he explained. "Do you have friends who possess the gift of magic, son?" Dr Martin asked with a strange look in his eyes. Jeremy's first thought was to lie but he decided against it. He didn't particularly want to cause any issues so he nodded his head in confirmation.

"Yes, I do. She's a Bennett witch. Her name is Bonnie" he said and immediately regretted it. The Martin witch's faces were enough to tell him everything. "Well daymn, she must be powerful then. I thought that the Bennett witch line was eradicated centuries ago" he said with a raised eyebrow and his father nodded his head in agreement. "That's extraordinary," he murmured. Jeremy spoke up once more. "So how can I control it? Can I do spells?" he asked curiously. "And witches can't be compelled, can they?" he asked in a breathless rush. This was becoming exciting to him.

Now that he understood that he was a witch, he would be able to defend himself, like Bonnie! No more would he be trampled underneath his sister who took away his choices too many times, claiming that he didn't know what he was talking about, that he didn't understand and that he would be safer elsewhere. Because he had his magic, he could actually be useful and help out instead of being put away and out of sight. The possibilities were endless and he could hardly sit still. Luka giggled and bounced up and down in his seat.

Of course, we could even do some now, if you wanted? Something simple?" he looked towards his father for his opinion on the matter and he nodded his head. "Remember that you can channel your magic too, son" he reminded him with a nod. Jeremy tilted his head. "So Luka could channel me and vice versa?" he curiously. He nodded his head with a faint smile. "Yes, something just like that" he confirmed. He could tell that the lad would grow up and do great things one day. It was only a matter of time. Luka jumped up and slammed his hands on the table excitedly. "Let's get this witchy thing started!" he shouted and made the others smile and chuckle softly.

Elena couldn't believe it. After Bonnie's explanation she still couldn't believe it. "So he's a witch.." she whispered softly to herself and Jenna looked up. "Who's a witch?" she asked with a raised eyebrow. A lot of strange things had been happening lately with seemingly no answers. She didn't want to get paranoid but she didn't want anyone to get hurt. Elena coughed and shook her head. "Nope, nobody's a witch, i'm just –" her words got cut off when Jeremy walked into the house after spending the day with the Martin witches and Elijah.

He had learnt valuable things in such a short space of time and he was grateful that they offered to help him get to grips with his new-found powers. He then learnt that Luka would be starting at the high school and he was looking forward to it. He hoped that he would be able to become closer friends with him but something told him that the moment he met Bonnie, he would forget all about him. He dug his hands in his pocket and leaned against the wall outside the kitchen.

Lying again, are we Elena? Are you really that incapable of telling the truth?" he said with a smirk. "Yes, I'm a witch." he admitted and Jenna's mouth hung open. "W-what, how? I thought that only vampires were real" she muttered to herself, remembering the time when Klaus had taken over Alaric's body. That had been a traumatising experience for her that she didn't particularly want to relive ever again. Jeremy shook his head. "Not just Vampires. Witches and werewolves exist too. I'm extremely sorry for what happened with Alaric," he said genuinely.

He would have to pick him up on that later, if he ever got the chance to. Jenna breathed a big breath and nodded her head. She was still trying to process everything that had happened. Elena looked guilty too. "I thought that I would be doing the right thing," she tried to explain but Jeremy shook his head, walking into the kitchen. "In situations where the supernatural is involved, ignorance isn't bliss. Jenna deserves to know the bare basics. Get her some vervain so that she can't be compelled would be the first port of action," he suggested, squeezing Jenna's shoulder. She turned towards him curiously.

"Can witches be compelled, like werewolves?" she asked curiously. This was still all so new to her yet interesting. Everything she thought to be a myth actually existed. Even though it scared her a little, at least life was a little more interesting. Jeremy shook his head. "Nope, werewolves and witches cannot be compelled. Only humans can, hence why they have vervain to resist the compulsion," he explained. "Unless they are Originals!" Elena piped up. Jeremy nodded his head. "Yeah. The first family of vampires to ever be created" he explained.

Jenna listened to everything that her niece and nephew had to say, impressed. "Wow, I never knew all that," she said with a laugh. "I'm going to have to get some vervain as soon as possible," she added. "But that brings me to my major question. How are you a witch. You're human with no ancestors who have magic, so why do you have magic and not Elena?" she wondered. Jeremy bit his lip. He knew that the question would come up but he wasn't expecting for her to ask so soon. He didn't particularly want to be a hypocrite and so he took a deep breath. He knew that if he refused, Elena would most certainly hold it against him.