Chapter 20

When Jeremy woke up, he was on the sofa of his house. He opened his eyes and he blinked as he took in his surroundings. He was alone in the main room of the house. He sighed softly as he got himself up into a sitting position. He took slow steps towards his bedroom, not trusting himself to go faster as if he would fall down at any moment if he went faster. He felt drained of all his energy. He felt as if he could sleep for a thousand years.

He eventually got up towards the staircase when Jenna called out to him. Her voice was like literal music to his ears. So she hadn't been used as an element of the sacrifice at all! He suddenly felt a burst of energy as he ran towards her and gave her a great big hug, practically crushing her towards him, holding her in his arms, not wanting to let go. He thought that he had lost two family members that night.

He was still coming to terms with John's loss, even if they weren't close, his death still stung. Jeremy knew that he had to keep his family close. "I'm so glad that you are here," he whispered softly into her ear, feeling the tears well in his eyes once again. Jenna smiled brightly and hugged him back, having to tiptoe a little bit because of the height difference between them. She was extremely thankful to be alive.

She understood that life was short and could be taken away with a snap of a finger. Ever since the supernatural had entered into their lives, death had surrounded them constantly. She knew now, more than ever, that she had to help her family. "I know Jere, me too, me too" she said softly, rubbing his back in soothing circles, a loving smile on her face. Everything was going to be OK.

— — —

Jenna, Elena and Jeremy were all clad in black, standing on the grass of the Gilbert plot, leaving down roses one by one on John's grave. Jeremy sighed deeply. Yet another member of their family was dead. It was as if they were cursed. Everyone seemed to be dropping down like flies around them. All Jeremy could do was to watch and pray that he wouldn't get too hurt by the crossfire. Elena came over towards him and placed a gentle hand on his shoulder. She felt really guilty. She felt bad because she couldn't help but feel as it was her fault.

She hadn't known of John's sacrifice that he made for her until she had woken up at the Boarding house the next day. Jeremy tensed up for a nanosecond before relaxing. He couldn't bring himself to argue with her. They were all grieving and recuperating after energy - taxing events that had taken place and they were all tired. The worst thing was that they all knew deep down that it wasn't over. "I'm so sorry, Jeremy" she whispered softly, her eyes clouded by tears as she observed John's fresh grave.

Only recently had she found out that she was adopted and that John was her biological father. She knew that she had to tell Jeremy but she couldn't do it. He was already going through so much. But she knew that if she kept it from him any longer he would hate her so she had to suck in the fear and go for it. Jeremy just shook his head. "It's OK, there was nothing that you could do." Elena's heart broke at his tone of voice.

She had never seen or heard him so defeated and it scared her a little. "He was my father," she whispered so quietly that Jeremy almost didn't catch it. She looked over her shoulder where Jenna was with Alaric and she just shook her head. She knew that it wouldn't end well. Jeremy took a sharp intake of breath. She saw his hands curl into fists and she gulped. Her heart hammered in her chest and the anxiety creeped up her throat but she stayed strong.

"What did you just say?" he asked breathlessly, wondering if he had heard her correctly. "John was my father," she began. "Isobel was my mother.. I was adopted" she confessed the secret that she had been keeping all this time.

She wondered if she had told him now that he might forgive her for what she had done to him. She needed him on her side. Especially since he was a witch. Jeremy took a shuddering breath. "Why didn't you tell me before, Elena?" he asked in a voice that was void of any emotion. Elena was speechless. "Always thinking about yourself, even when someone has died. I know exactly what you're playing at. You aren't that smart. You did this because you thought that I would forgive you for what you have done." Elena didn't speak. She knew that he was correct. There was no use in denying.

"But I haven't.." he whispered softly as he looked at her - a fleeting glance then at John's grave once more."But you'll always be my sister, and I'll always be your brother, no matter what happens.." he added, his voice trembling. By now Elena was sobbing brokenly, trying to keep her sorrow in. "We've lost so much...I don't even know how to cope. How can you act as if everything is OK when clearly it's not?" he whispered hoarsely, tears running down his face. He was tired of the constant pain and needless drama.

He was aware that they were the only ones in the graveyard at the moment, everyone realising that the siblings needed some time alone to talk. "I - - I'm so sorry Jeremy," she sobbed. Jeremy was sobbing too, his chest heaving with sobs, coughing with effort. It hurt even to talk. "You say that you are sorry but the same things keep happening over again. You have everyone fighting for you and protecting you. What about me?" his voice was so quiet and sorrowful and his words stung her heart like a thousand knives.

All this time she had been worrying about herself and not everyone else around her - her own family. But she couldn't help it."I—" she simply didn't know what to say. What could she say. Everything had been said and done. Jeremy just did something that he hadn't planned to do. He hugged her tightly. She and Jenna were all he had left. His parents and Uncle John were gone and he simply couldn't afford to lose anyone else.

Elena immediately wrapped her arms around him, crying into his shoulder, wetting the shoulder of his black suit jacket with her tears. "We can protect ourselves and each other, it's okay" she sobbed, desperately hoping that she sounded convincing but it fell flat to her ears. Jeremy just squeezed her tightly to him.

The Gilbert siblings just hugged each other as if they were the only things that were keeping them afloat, comforting one another in their grief, the faraway birdsong accompanying them and the swoosh of the trees, with Klaus Mikaelson, a freshly turned hybrid, watching in the distance.

Notes: