Chapter 9

I was trapped by Constantine’s gaze, but cleared my throat and turned away. The tension in between us was immediately broken, and I was glad for that.

“So guys,” I put on a smile and strode back to the group even as Constantine’s eyes were digging into my back. “What did you think of the forest?”

“Didn’t like it much.” Tiffany said in a flat voice. “Too much dirt. Actually, I think there’re some and twigs in my shoes.”

“I didn’t like it either.” Ember admitted. But then grinned at me. “Until I saw that.”

“Same here.” Amber smiled as well.

Daniel came and stood right next to me, shoulder to shoulder. “You know, after you wandered off, I was the most eager to find you.”

“Really?” I said in a flat tone. “I find that hard to believe.” My eyes scanned around and landed on Jayden, who was staring at Daniel’s shoulder that was touching mine. So I slipped away from Daniel and stood next to Jayden. “How’d you like the forest Jayden?”

He opened his mouth to reply, but Ethan said, “He was jittery the whole time, trying to find you. He was worried, saying stuff like ‘What if Mariam got attacked by the lion?’ and stuff like that.” Ethan used a high girly voice when quoting Jayden, earning a glare from him.

But then he turned to me with a smile. “But you’re okay, so that’s great. And you looked real cool with the lion.”

I grinned at him. “Thanks.”

My attention was caught by Sabrina who had walked over to Constantine, but she stood at a good distance away. She stared at him up and down before shaking her head. “You are not touching me until you take a long, clean bath.”

Constantine didn’t look hurt and simply shrugged and rolled his eyes. “Fine, fine.”

Those two acted nothing like a couple. Don’t couples usually love each other?

I stared up into the sky and saw that it was getting dark. But as I stretched my neck, I felt how my throat ached. And I tried to clear it, but it didn’t work. Which meant I was getting thirsty.

“Do any of you guys have a blood can on you?” I asked. They all gave me a look, and I just shrugged helplessly. “Hey, there’s nothing wrong with asking.”

“Now that you brought it up, I’m feeling kind of thirsty too.” Daniel said, wrapping an arm around my shoulder. At our heights, it was easy for him to do so, and I didn’t see anything wrong with the friendly, even brotherly, gesture.

But Constantine sure as hell did, because he was giving me a death glare.

But I ignored him again and turned to Daniel with a playful grin. “Hey, Daniel. Let me drink from you.”

“What?!” he shouted.

I laughed and patted his shoulder. “I’m just kidding, I’m just kidding.” But then I took a sly glance at Jayden and he noticed, his eyes widening. “What about you Jayden?”

He stuttered and sputtered out nonsense, having no idea what to say as his cheeks turned pink. I laughed once again and leaned against Daniel for support. Their facial expressions were too funny for words.

“That’s not funny Mariam.” Daniel pouted at me, and I just smiled up at him.

“Hey, I said I was just kidding. Take a joke.”

But then I also noticed the silvery moon eyes that stared at me with anger clearly written in them.

“Mariam.” Constantine growled my name lowly, and I couldn’t help but twitch. This was the first time I’ve heard an angry tone come out of him towards me. But what did I do to deserve it?