Chapter 24

[Constantine’s POV]

“Stop glaring.” Max said before rolling his eyes. “I’m not the one who assigned you here.”

I didn’t stop and continued to aim the glare straight at him. When we got back from the club, I was going to eventually sneak off to Mariam’s room, but Regal placed me with Max and told him to guard me so I wouldn’t go off and do something on my own.

But another reason I was in a sour mood was because this was also Mariam’s kiddy boyfriend’s room. I could smell her scent in here as well, all over. She spent time with Jayden in here. Of course that would be obvious since they were dating, but I still didn’t like it.

“You’re going to have to sleep on Jayden’s bed.” Max said, earning another glare from me. This time, he only smirked back, knowing exactly what was going on through my mind. “Just face the facts, boy. Your girl’s dating another boy.”

‘Your girl.’ I liked the sound of that. It was the ‘dating another boy’ part that ticked me off.

“Just shut up and head to bed so I can sneak out later, Max.” I sighed before plopping down on the couch. “And I’ll be out here. There’s no way I’m sleeping on Jayden’s bed.”

Max stared at me with a raised brow. “You’re so childish.”

I turned to look at him. “I’m not the one who still looks like a kid.”

He just shrugged it off, used to people commenting about his looks. He looked exactly as he posed: a teenaged high school kid. Though he was actually far from it.

As I was sitting, Max went to the fridge and popped open a can before walking over to me and sitting at the other end of the couch. He sipped some blood before glancing at me from the corner of his eye. “So she was the one, huh?”

There was no point in denying it, so I just nodded. “Mariam Pierce.”

Max sipped again. “I’m amazed she survived the turning. But then again, she did grow up tough.”

I looked at him in confusion, but saw that he wouldn’t elaborate on his words. If he didn’t, then he would never, so there was no point in me trying to get him to say more. But what the hell did he mean by that?

“What about Sabrina?” he changed the topic.

“What? Are you worried she’ll get hurt from finding out I’m with another girl?”

Max laughed with no humor. “I’d die with laughter if that happened. You know that girl doesn’t really care. I bet she’s with another guy right now.” He shook his head. “What you two have isn’t even what I would call a relationship.”

I couldn’t argue with that. The only reason why the two of us were together in the first place was because we were the same. We couldn’t stay committed to one person. We allowed each other to not be loyal so we could fool around with others. But when neither of us had a partner for the night, we would spend it together.

That was all our relationship was.

Until I met Mariam. Then I started to see what my life would be like if I did stick with one person. That person specifically being Mariam. But she’s already got someone she’s going steady with. How much did she actually like Jayden? I didn’t know, but I wanted to find out.

Not with Max sitting next to me though, watching like a guard dog.

But I really needed to be with Mariam. And get a taste of her blood. She got a drink from me, now it was my turn to get some from her. Just the thought was enough to make my mouth water. I could imagine myself sinking my teeth into her and the sound of her scream. The way she’d squirm against me and beg for more. The way she’d whisper my name breathlessly.