Chapter 10

That night, I was furious. Not at Constantine, but at myself. How could I have responded to his touch?! How could I have moaned?! Am I an idiot?! I must be if just a little touch from him gets me out of breath and wanting more!

I stayed up late thinking about the moments I spent with Constantine. But not just the time when I was with him, but also the times Sabrina, his damn girlfriend, was with him. From the looks of it, Constantine was definitely a two-timer. The kind who lies and cheats and steals. If I knew any better, which I do, I should stay away from him.

Meaning I shouldn’t meet up with him or see him anymore. Including the times when we dream and see each other then. Besides, he said he was going to do…things the next time we saw each other in our dreams. I had to stay away from him.

So that night, I stayed up all the way until morning. It was pretty easy, considering I was a vampire now and didn’t need as much sleep. Sure I needed the thing now and then since I apparently still had some human blood in me and had humanly urges. But once all my vampire blood takes over, which would be another week or so, I’ll be like any vampire and could stay up for days, even weeks, without sleep. After all, we’re nocturnal.

Luckily, it was still the weekday and school could distract me from thoughts about Constantine, Sabrina, me, Constantine, and more Constantine.

Damn him.

Unfortunately, I wasn’t as nocturnal as I thought I was. Because after the second period of the school day, my eyes were drooping shut and I was yawning so much, my eyes watered a lot and it looked like I was crying. Which was stupid.

Stupid Mr. Hughes had told me to stay after class again, asking if I was okay. I would’ve been really annoyed at him for keeping me behind again, but I knew he was just worried about me and tried to simply brush him off, telling him I was fine.

He was persistent as usual, but I quickly made my way out the class again, using one of my many lame excuses that wouldn’t work in this school, or more specifically, my body. My excuse?

“I really gotta pee, Mr. Hughes. So I’ll just get going.”

Of course, the trio was standing outside the door, waiting for me again, and heard my stupid excuse. But I was used to embarrassing myself in front of others, no less, friends. So I brushed off their comments when they made fun of me.

But then they noticed my teary, slightly red eyes.

“Are you okay, Mariam?” Amber asked.

“Yeah.” I covered another yawn. “Perfect.”

“You don’t look perfect to me.” Alex noted with a raised eyebrow and Kina laughed with agreement.

“Okay, so I did an all-nighter.”

“Why would you do an all-nighter?”

Maybe I should keep the dreams to myself. Not that I don’t trust my friends. I just don’t want to bring it up in case Constantine decides he wants to do something private during them…and succeeds.

“I do all-nighters all the time.” Which was partially true. “And now that I’m a vampire, I can stay up day and night. Why waste the night when you can do so much during it?”

“What are you going to do at night?” Alex asked with disbelief.

“Maybe she’ll meet up with Constantine in the woods to finish the business they started.” Kina giggled.

I rolled my eyes. “Like hell.” But then I paused when I just registered what Kina said. Including the fact that she wasn’t there when it happened, how did she find out? But then I shot a look at Amber, who was looking the other way.