Chapter 21

[Constantine’s POV]

I sipped from my glass as I blankly stared at the bright bar sign.

Summer had finally come and school was out. Everyone’s left to go back home once more, and I was here again, just like last year and the year before that. A classmate had invited me to go and join him on the dance floor so we could attract more girls, but I refused. I’ve come here more than enough times to know what happens when you start off in the dancing crowd.

Besides, I was never in the mood these days. Not ever since…

Tipping my head back, I drained the glass and ordered the bartender to fill it up again. Even though alcohol had no effect on vampires, I still drank just for the hell of it. Blood wasn’t an option these days, so alcohol it was.

Someone sat on the stool next to mine and I glanced at the corner of my eye to see Max Ortiz. We’ve known each other during the times we’ve both come to this night club. We also happen to go to the same school, just different buildings.

Max ordered a drink as well and even though his face said he was still a young teenaged boy, fresh from boyhood, the bartender knew exactly who Max was and handed him what he wanted. Max calmly drank from the glass and the two of us silently sat side by side, not speaking.

Eventually, a girl came up to my side and tried to get me to talk with her, but when she saw that I was uninterested, she grudgingly went away. The same happened with Max and the cycle continued on a few times until finally, we were left in peace for at least one minute.

“How’ve you been?” Max asked, draining the glass and the bartender quickly refilled it.

I shrugged my shoulders, swirling the ice cubes inside my glass around. “Same.”

Max glanced at me from the corner of his eyes. “Doesn’t look like it to me.”

During the times that we’ve talked before, I did have more emotion in my voice. I guess it was obvious that something was wrong with me. But the thing was that something’s been bothering me for a while now.

“Usually, you’d have a girl on your arm.” Max continued, swerving around in his seat to look at the rest of the club. I continued to keep my back towards it, uninterested in what the humans were doing. “Or off somewhere doing HELL knows what. Usually fucking off with another girl.”

I didn’t respond and just blankly stared at the ice cubes in my glass. Max curiously looked at me. “What’s wrong Constantine? The last time we saw each other, you were like this too.” The last time being only two weeks ago.

Both of us had coincidently come at the same time and met up in this club. “Nothing Max. You shouldn’t worry too much about it.”

A girl came in front of him and he immediately swerved back around so his back was to her. I glanced at her to see that she looked outraged and stomped away in embarrassment to be rejected. That made me crack a smile at least.

“I’m assuming since you’re not fucking any girl, it’s because of a specific girl?” Max asked and I did my best to not let anything show on my face. The bastard could read people like books. It was cool to be the reader, but annoying to be the read. “Who is she?”

I didn’t know whether to deny it. But maybe flat out denying it would make it too obvious that he was right. But not denying it could also be interpreted the same way. In the end, I opened my mouth. “No one.”

Fuck.

Max raised an eyebrow at me. “Obviously she’s someone.”

This time, I decided to keep my lips firmly shut. It was best to not encourage Max. He was usually good at making me talk during times like this. But I didn’t want to talk. Not about the situation and definitely not about that someone.