Chapter 16

“When are they going to get back?” I asked Alex.

She shrugged. “They said they’d be gone for a few hours. But I have no idea how many ‘a few’ are.”

“Who are ‘they’?” Zoe suddenly asked.

After we finished our food, we decided to come back to my dorm room. Alex’s was unsafe since we didn’t know when everyone else would get back, and Zoe didn’t want her roommate to know about Ethan.

“They are our group of friends.” I said. “Ethan’s a part of them too.”

“And where are they right now?”

“Out in the forest.” I casually answered. But the news was far from casual to Zoe. She was shocked, confused, and amazed all at the same time. So I had to tell her that it was our group of friends that got out into the forest first. I didn’t know if I saw wrong, but something like awe flashed across her face when I finished telling her what I did.

“Wow.” She said breathlessly.

But this wasn’t about me at the moment. This was about her and Ethan. So I quickly changed back to the main subject. “Before we start making up plans or something, we have to start from the beginning.” I said. “How exactly did you meet with Ethan?”

Zoe sighed, but told us anyway. “I actually knew Jayden first. We were in the same lab group and well, basically, Ethan saw his brother in the classroom, came in to mess around with him for a bit, and then asked about the rest of us in Jayden’s group. The first time, Ethan didn’t really care about me. There was another girl in the group called Angela who was bold enough to flirt with Ethan.”

Alex snorted. When Zoe gave her a look, Alex said sorry and told her to continue.

“Anyway…” she slowly said. “The second time this happened, Ethan saw and noticed me, like it was the first time we met. Knowing him, it probably was the first time he saw me since he was too busy flirting back with Angela.” Zoe muttered the last part with irritation, making Alex and I exchange glances.

“And then?” I urged her to go on.

She shrugged. “He wouldn’t stop staring and trying to get close to me since.”

“I’m shocked you haven’t gotten annoyed of him yet.” Alex laughed, and I joined in with her. But when we saw that Zoe was not laughing with us, we stopped and I cleared my throat, trying to erase any giggles.

“Anyway, that’s pretty much the story.”

“You know? I think the answer is simple.” I shrugged at Zoe. “Just tell him you like him too.”

She blushed. “Are you stupid? I can’t do that. I’m not that…bold.”

“I think you’re pretty bold.” Alex muttered at the side, making a little laugh sputter through my lips. “And besides, who cares if you’re not bold? It’s the easiest and most sure way of letting Ethan know the girl he’s after actually wants her too.”

Zoe remained silent for a few seconds. “But how do I know he’s serious?”

“Wow.” Alex said. “She’s actually serious about him.”

Again, the blue-head blushed. “Of course I’m serious.”

“Hey, I don’t blame her.” I shrugged. “Ethan seems like a…quick guy. I mean, isn’t he pretty popular among the girls in the school?” Both of them nodded, making me wonder if his brother, my boyfriend, was also popular around the school. But I decided not to ask.

“That’s why I want to know if he’s serious about me…or if he’s just trying to get in my pants.”

“Well…” Alex slowly said. “How long has it been going on?”