Chapter 19

The next day at school, I was relieved that my friends were faking ignorance and not questioning me about yesterday. But, though they were doing this now, I knew they would eventually ask. Especially Jayden. We were dating and a couple dating were supposed to tell each other everything. And that was what he wanted, I could tell.

I was amazed Jayden didn’t catch onto the moment when my breakdown started. It was the moment I heard about him. But then again, Jayden wouldn’t be expecting me to be so involved with another guy. After all, he and I didn’t show much in front of our group of friends, so they’d expect us to not be so involved together.

But the girls–Amber, Kina, and Alex–were teasing me about him before I asked Jayden out. I wonder if they caught on…That is, if Jayden told them what we were talking about before I ran off.

Today, my friends and I decided to hang out in my room. The school day had passed by like normal. Of course, I wasn’t expecting everyone to be whispering about what happened to me. But I was slightly surprised I didn’t hear a peep about the incident.

“I can’t believe Fariyel just let you guys off, free.” I huffed, crossing my arms over my chest. “I had to clean all the freaking desk! You all should’ve been worse off than me!”

Ethan snickered. “Too bad for you. Maybe it was because there were too many of us to punish.”

I shot Ethan a look. “By the way, how’s Zoe?”

A wide, relaxed grin quickly spread across his face. “Great.” He almost sounded like he was sighing in bliss.

I gave a glance to everyone else since Ethan was having a faraway look at the moment. Most of them shrugged back at me, not telling me much. But I was guessing he and Zoe were hitting it off just as they wanted.

“Where is she? Shouldn’t you introduce your girlfriend to us?” I brought up.

Ethan’s face and eyes immediately went flat. “We’re not dating.”

“Huh?” Jayden said shocked, just like the rest of us in the room. “What do you mean you’re not dating? Aren’t you two practically at the same stage as Jeremy and Amber?”

Amber blushed, but tried her best to ignore her burning face. Jeremy looked proud as usual to have his close relationship with his girlfriend talked about. Ethan looked disappointed and restrained.

“She doesn’t want others to know that we’re…” He waved his hand in the air. “Says it’ll catch too much attention.”

“She’s only a sophomore.” Alex brought up. “Who knows if you have some crazy girls crushing on you, Ethan? She’s smart to keep it a secret.”

Kina snorted. “Or dumb. Doesn’t she know a girl has to claim her man from other girls?”

Ethan rolled his eyes. “That’s exactly what I told her.” He agreed with Kina. “But she just told me if I couldn’t stay faithful to her, then that means I’m not serious.”

Everyone went silent until Jayden asked his older brother the question on everyone’s mind. “Are you serious about her?”

Ethan looked offended that he would even be asked the question. “Of course I’m serious about her!”

“Well…I guess that’s all that matters.” Amber said and we agreed with her.

But really, how serious could a guy like Ethan get? I’ve always been told that love during high school is only puppy love and it eventually fades after the teenage phase. So just how serious is Ethan really about Zoe? And how serious is Zoe about Ethan?