Chapter 38

All I got back in reply was my echo. I pursed my lips and went in search for Constantine throughout the academy. The first place I checked was my room, where I thought he would be for sure. But he wasn’t.

I walked through the halls and checked any rooms that had their doors slightly ajar. But there was still no sight of Constantine. I was beginning to think that maybe he went somewhere else after he couldn’t find me in the school.

Just as I was about to give up and go back to my room, I heard the entrance doors creak open. Since it was quiet in the building, the sounding swoosh of the doors filled the air and I quickly made my way to the lobby, thinking it was Constantine.

Instead, I was met with a blond woman with a bob haircut. She was tall and slender and the way she moved reminded me of a model. Or a cat.

A cat?

Before I could ponder over those words, she spotted me and her pupils dilated. I felt as if I was prey spotted by a predator and immediately stiffened and glanced around, searching for a way to escape.

“Mariam.” She spoke.

I looked at her in shock. “Who…?”

She smiled and instead of answering my question, she simply said, “Constantine’s outside.”

All my curiosity about the woman flew out of me and I immediately ran past her and made my way out the door. The vast forest stretched in front of me, but behind a few trees, I saw children crouched on the floor.

When I approached them, they looked my way and immediately smiled before they ran to hug my legs.

“Mariam!” they giggled.

I stared down at them in shock before I glanced to where they had been sitting. Leaning against a tree trunk was Constantine. He looked perfectly fine but I still worried since his eyes were closed.

“He’s sleeping.” I jumped from the sound of the woman speaking behind me. I looked over my shoulder and saw her standing there with smile on her lips. “It seems he was exhausted.”

The more I looked at her, the more familiar she seemed to me. I moved my gaze towards the children at my feet and saw that there were a total of three of them. Two of them were boys while one was a girl. And she had probably the largest eyes I had ever seen.

Wait a minute.

“You’re…” I gulped. “You’re the mountain lions.” I looked at the woman again. “Right?”

Her smile widened. “It’s nice to finally meet you, Mariam. I’m assuming since you’re here, your business with the Black Family is over with? And yet my husband isn’t back yet.”

“He’s probably still with the headmasters, getting the explanation of the situation.”

“Hm.” She pursed her lips before she picked up her daughter while her two boys ran around the trees, chasing each other. “In that case, it seems the two of us will have to keep each other company. Constantine looked exhausted, so I’m assuming he won’t be awake until awhile.”

“Is he really okay? He’s just asleep, right?” I asked quickly.

She nodded. “He had first gone into the school in search for you, but when he didn’t find you, he stumbled back out and collapsed on the ground. I brought him into the shade and now he’s just resting here.”

“Thank you.” I didn’t know what else to say, but regardless, she looked happy. Only then did it occur to me that I didn’t know her name. “I never got your name.”