Chapter 40

On the day when all the students would come back to the academy, Constantine had to go back to his building due to school regulations. He kissed me goodbye and told me he would be visiting my room tonight to hear how it all went.

For now, I was standing outside, waiting for everyone’s arrival.

Though the only one I really cared about was Jayden. I wanted to see all my friends too of course, but the longer I delayed the confession, the more I would lead Jayden on and humiliate him.

When it became noon, the same jets appeared and landed in the large area in front of the school. Students exited and greeted each other as they made their ways to the doorway and entered the building.

I continued to wait and the first of my friends that arrived was Kina and Alex. They immediately spotted me and the first thing they did was hug me. I hugged them back, but my enthusiasm level was low compared to normal since I was nervous about Jayden.

Luckily, the two of them didn’t notice and decided to wait with me until all of our friends came back. They told me what they did during their free week and asked what I did. I told them that the fieldtrips were true.

I was vague about the details since I didn’t want them to know too much about Constantine. Not yet at least. The very first one who should hear about the details—excluding the conflict with Constantine’s family curse, that should be private—was Jayden.

After a bit more waiting, Amber came back, then Noah. And finally, the two blond brothers arrived.

Jayden rushed towards me and embraced me. I hesitantly hugged him back and was secretly relieved that he didn’t move in for a kiss. Instead, he wrapped his arm around my waist and stood beside me as we waited for Ethan to catch up.

He took his time and walked to us and joined in on the little circle we had formed. When everyone greeted each other, only then did we move as a group into the academy.

I made sure to slow down my walk so that Jayden and I ended up at the back of the pack. Jayden noticed and looked at me with curious eyes. Then he suddenly moved in for a kiss, but I slightly leaned away from him and his lips missed their target.

This time, his eyes were filled with confusion. I glanced at our friends and saw that they weren’t paying attention to us and were simply focused on getting to their rooms and finally settling down. I used that opportunity to drag Jayden away from them and to an empty classroom.

I also made sure to shut the door before I faced him.

“What’s up, Mariam?” he asked in a cautious voice.

Beating around the bush would just delay it.

“I’m…Let’s break up, Jayden.”

He stared at me with a blank face. I felt the tips of my fingers becoming cold but I didn’t make any small movements. Instead, I stared right back into Jayden’s eyes, showing that my words were sincere.

Suddenly, Jayden let out a small burst of laughter—something I feared he would do.

“I thought you were going to say something like that when I finally came back. I must know you really well, huh?”

He thought I was joking.

“I’m serious.” I said in a firm voice. “We should break up.”

Jayden waited. And waited. I knew he was waiting for me to say or do something. Crack a smile or yell “Just kidding!” but I remained serious. When he finally realized that I was telling the truth, his smile faltered.