Chapter 31

I was frozen stiff in the same position, which was at a distance from my parents with the male mountain lion beside me. Amazingly, he didn’t move away from me, or in the more likely cases, attack me. Instead, he even prowled to pace in front of me, to guard me from the people I was giving a horrified look at.

My parents.

“Don’t be scared, Mariam.” My dad said with a soothing tone. “It’s really me, your dad. And that’s your mother.” He motioned to her, the female who looked exactly like the mother I knew.

“But…” I swallowed, looking between the two of them. “But you’re vampires.”

The parents that I knew were one hundred percent humans. They behaved just like regular humans and I never saw any of their actions secretive or suspicious. They were as normal as the other parents in my neighborhood.

Apparently, I didn’t know my own parents.

“We’ll explain everything. But not here.” My mom said with a serious voice and eyed the mountain lion at my side. “Let’s go back to the school and talk there.”

When I didn’t respond, my mom disappeared and teleported to stand in front of me. I gasped and jumped from shock, but my mom just placed her hands on her hips and stared me down.

“Mariam Pierce, don’t tell me you’re afraid.” She laughed mockingly at me. “Is my little baby scared? Come into your mommy’s bosom then and I’ll comfort you.”

“Scared? Hell no! I’m not scared of you!” I immediately shouted.

She glared. “What have I told you about swearing?”

“Dad does it all the time.” I shot back.

“Your father’s just as much of a child as you are. Neither of you should be swearing as much as you do.” My mom glared at my dad from over her shoulder and he just shrugged helplessly.

Then I noticed that my mom had purposely provoked me to instinctively behave the way I did to make me see that she was just the same as usual. My dad too. And she proved herself to be right. This was a daily conversation we usually had whenever I swore in front of my parents.

“Fine.” I grumbled, feeling too easily defeated, by my mom no less. “Let’s go back to the school.”

My mom blinked at me innocently before she turned around, but I saw the way her cheekbones lifted, meaning she was grinning with her back towards me in victory. My dad nodded his head and he turned around to walk back where they came from.

Before I followed them, I glanced back up to where Constantine and his family had been standing. The mountain lion seemed like he was going to follow the rest of us back to V-Academy and I was shocked to see that he was mostly sticking to Fariyel and Regal’s sides.

After a few seconds of staring at up into the trees and praying that Constantine was safe, I finally turned around and followed after everyone else.