Chapter 27

“That’s just disgusting.” Riley gagged. “I don’t need to know that your boyfriend’s getting hard from you.”

The two of us walked to an empty classroom that we had all to ourselves. Riley leaned his back against the white board while I sat on the edge of the teacher’s desk.

And I would’ve laughed at his words if Riley hadn’t mentioned that ‘boyfriend’ part. “He’s not my boyfriend.” I said truthfully, making him turn to me with shock.

“You’re messing around with a guy who’s not even your boyfriend?!” he laughed disbelievingly. “When’d you turn into that kind of girl, Mariam? You might as well as make him yours already.”

I fidgeted. “Actually, he already has a girlfriend.” Riley gawked and then I added, “And I have a boyfriend too.”

The room went utterly silent. But then again, I was expecting that. Riley knew me as a girl who didn’t have any interest in boys. I cared about friends and family, and having fun. But now, I’m playing around with a guy who wasn’t my boyfriend. And my real boyfriend was away on vacation, having no clue that I was with another guy.

Riley’s eyes narrowed at me before he slowly pointed. “Lucy Hill?”

“Knock it off.” I smacked his hand away, making him laugh.

Lucy Hill was a girl from my old school. She always had a new boyfriend practically every month or so, and girls didn’t get along with her because of that. I didn’t know her personally, but she seemed like a typical girl.

“I think changing into a vampire killed some of your brain cells or something.” Riley continued teasing me. “I don’t think the old Mariam would actually fool around with boys! And notice I used the plural form.” He raised an eyebrow.

I rolled my eyes. “It’s not like that Riley. It’s just…” I sighed. “It’s complicated. And this isn’t usually a thing I talk with my guy friends. Usually it’s with my girl friends.”

“Yeah, but like you’ve probably noticed, Theresa’s not here. So whether you like it or not, I’m your only option.” He pointed to himself with duck lips and I couldn’t help but laugh at his expression.

“Weren’t we supposed to talk about ourselves. Our lives? Not about our relationships?” I asked, raising an eyebrow at him. When he continued to give me a flat look, I added, “Are you sure you want to hear about it?”

“No. But you’re my friend. So I’m supposed to.” He ticked his tongue. “Just tell me, Mariam.”

After I shook my head and rolled my eyes, with a smile on my lips, I finally told him what exactly was going on between Constantine and me. Excluding the dreams of course. I hadn’t even told my school friends that part yet and wasn’t comfortable telling that to Riley either.

“I can’t believe he was the one who turned you.” Riley sighed heavily and shook his head after I finished. “But I’m sure I should be thankful. I mean, he saved you.” I nodded my head in agreement as he stared at me. “Do you like him?”