nine >>> in the process

"You know how it is," Matt says shrugging his shoulders and grabbing a paint brush turning back to the canvas

"It is what it is for sure," I say lowly, walking around the room glancing at all the paint and art scattered about the room. "You and your girl still going strong?"

"We're two weeks into the relationship Y/N," Matt chuckles.

"Yeah well that's the longest you ever had a girlfriend-" I pause a second leaning up against the window and crossing my arms over my chest. "Usually your girlfriends last what? A day or two?"

"Oh cmon. There was Hazel-"

"Hazel? Jeez she didn't even count Matt. She literally was dating half the student body!" I responded causing both Matt and I to chuckle. He nods his head in the process too and sets down his paintbrush stepping back.

"You're right. Hazel was-was something different. But Alicia...She's very different. She makes everything seem better in this shitty world."

"Well she puts a smile on your face so that's something I guess." Another chuckle escapes my lips dwelling on the thought of Matt and his girlfriend. His girlfriend was undeniably beautiful and had a smile that lit up the whole room. It's sort of nice that I've gotten to see it even though the girl really hasn't paid any attention to me.

"Alright see you're going to be leaving for soon for Texas come look at this-" Matt pauses and I nod picking up my head a bit. I stand up from my position and walk towards the boy. I walk around the room and around the canvas to see a painting of Matt and I when we were young to us now. My eyes grow wide and I scan and analyze the painting amazed by Matt's skills.

"Holy shit bro. This is amazing! What the hell-"

"Well your birthday's coming up and I knew you were leaving again so I thought I'd finally make you something and it's a gift." A smile tugged on my lips as I took in his words till several knocks appeared on the door. Both Matt and I's heads snap to the door to be met with green eyes and a soft smile.

The knife drives through the walkers head before I quickly pull it back out watching the walker drop. I take a step back, keeping the knife to my side. My eyes look up and down the fence seeing so many of the dead lined up, but to my surprise it's not as bad as it has been. A low sigh escapes my lips at this fact as I lift my shirt and wipe face.

"Y/N, there you are," I hear Ben's voice. I drop my shirt back down and turn my head to find Ben walking towards me with a shovel.

"Hey Ben," I respond looking away and stepping up to the gate, driving my knife through the opening and sticking it right through another walkers head before pulling back. The walker drops and I put my attention back on Ben.

"You alright?" He asks and I nod my head slowly. "That girl causing you some problems?"

"No... Not really," I respond tearing my eyes away from the guy. I look up and down the fence not seeing any more walkers, so I walk past Ben feeling him walking with me. "He's drinking again... Why?"

"Lewis? Not sure. It may have to do with the fact you claimed that girl or it's because of the group he and his main boys are going after. Can't really say-" Ben pauses as we make it up to the town. But before we can actually walk into town where a bunch of our people walked I felt Ben grab a hold of my arm, pulling me back and up against the back of the building. "Kid, we're pretty worried about you."

"What? Why?" I ask bending down a bit and placing my knife in my boot. When I stand back up straight my eyes meet Ben's and I cross my arms over my chest. "Ben?"

"You said you know that girl... Me and Jodi talked after you left us in the cafe-"

"Talked? Talked about what?" I ask cutting the guy off. He holds up his hands in defense and I clench my jaw looking back and forth between his eyes.

"We talked about you and how you're acting..." Ben slowly started and then continued. "The way you get angry when anyone brings that girl up and how you just claimed her... It's almost like it's Josie all over again."

"Don't you dare bring Josie up!" I raise my voice dropping my arms. "Alicia is not Josie."

"Really? So you mean to tell me that you wouldn't do anything and everything for Alicia?" Ben looks back and forth between my eyes all I can do is the same. "See you can't even answer. You're going to get yourself killed protecting that girl Y/N, like you almost did with-"

"That wasn't my fault," I speak quickly my voice harsh and low. I tear my eyes away and to the side like someone was around. But when I realize it's just me and Ben I look back to him locking our eyes. "It wasn't my fault. I did everything I could-"

"I know that... But you almost died in the process. And if your uncle finds out about you knowing who Alicia is, you're both dead worse than what would have happened to you and what happened to Josie." A heavy silence takes over us as I shake my head and glance to the ground. Neither of us speak for what seems like forever and to be honest I'm not even sure what the hell to say. I knew Ben wasn't wrong and I hated that fact.

"Ben? Y/N? Ryan? Any body around?" A panic voice rang through the radios. Quickly I reach down going to grab mine when Ben beats me to it placing his own walkie to his lips.

"Jodi, it's me Ben. What's wrong?" Ben asked quickly pulling the walkie down a moment and switching channels. I tilt my head to the side soon hearing Jodi through the walkie.

"Something's going on. I need you now," Jodi said panic in her voice. "Where's Y/N?"

"She's right here with me. Jodi where are you?"

"I'm in the complexes-" As soon as I hear Jodi say complexes I took off running. I hear Ben shout my name but I don't stop. The complexes are a "fancy" term for where people who have claimed someone are sent there instead of the lower "bunks". Alicia was in the complexes. I run as fast I can, getting to the door and swinging it open before running through the halls and up the stairs. Within a couple seconds I make it to my hall and fly down till I get to my door. When I get there, the door is wide open and broken. My eyes scan it briefly before hearing my name and looking up away from the door.

________
____
________
A/N: Happy Easter! Sorry I haven't updated this story in so long and that I took it down, but I think I've figured some stuff out within the story that I'm good with putting it back up and what not! Hope you enjoyed this update (sorry it's short! Maybe longer next update :))