twenty-six >>> Lewis Knows All

Lewis left not too long ago

Lewis left not too long ago. Neither me or Alicia have spoke. She's coughed a few times, probably still having water in her lungs. It was killing me I couldn't do anything to stop them from doing that to her. It was killing me that she was even brought into this situation, again. It was killing me that I was the main factor of her being in pain.

"Alicia..." I whisper, picking up my head and glancing to her. There our eyes meet. Her eyes are puffy and red bringing out her green colored eyes. "I'm going to get us out of here."

"Don't," Alicia whispers back shaking her head.

"I mean it-"

"No Y/N," Alicia cuts me off. "Damn it... Why'd you leave?" I squint my eyes, keeping my eyes on the girl as she drops her head for a moment. She tugs at the chains before picking her head back up. "We could have... We wouldn't be in this mess."

"You're right we wouldn't- We'd already be dead," I say low. I tear my eyes away and around the small room.

"But you don't know that for sure..."

"Don't I? Alicia, I know him. I grew up with him. Known him for 21 years!" I pick up my voice looking to the girl. "If I stayed, you, your family, friends would be dead!"

"They were your friends and family too! I'm your family!" My eyes soften and I see her own eyes soften too. "I mean... You were."

"No, you still care. That hasn't changed for me either Alicia."

"Really? If you cared or care, whatever then why didn't you at least say goodbye?" Tears slipped down Alicia's cheeks from what I could see.

"I wrote you that letter. It was the best I could do, I couldn't-"

"Wait-Wait," the girl cuts me off causing me to flick my eyes back and forth between her eyes seeing her expression confused. Her head's tilted to the side, her eyes squinted and her lips separated. "What letter?"

"I left you a letter in the house. I gave it to-" I stop talking and lower my glance to the ground.

"Gave it to who Y/N?"

"I gave it to your mom." Silence fills the air between us. My head goes rapid remembering specifically that Madison said she'd give Alicia the note. We even had a moment. I don't understand why she wouldn't give Alicia the note. She knew, she knows I love her daughter. She knows the reason I left was to protect her daughter and everyone else. And yet she still didn't give Alicia the letter?

"What did it say?" Alicia asked, after a few moments. I pick up my head, opening my eyes to be met with Alicia's sad ones. I shake my head and Alicia yanks her hands. "What did it say Y/N?" Her voice was more powerful.

"I don't remember exactly," I respond pulling my eyes away.

"That's a bullshit answer."

"What I do remember is that i explained why I left-" I pause a second then continue. "I did it for you. I did it because I care about you. I did it because out of every inch and fiber of my body I can't handle the thought of you being dead. I can't handle this, seeing you getting hurt. Every choice I've made since we met Alicia was all because I love you." The girl's eyes go wide when the last three words escape my lips. I think it would feel weird saying it out loud and to her face, but it didn't. It felt right. It felt so right that it pained me that I couldn't kiss her right now. Wait, did I just say that?