twenty-two >>> taking off

A low sigh escapes my lips as I quickly bend down and grab a hold of my bag

A low sigh escapes my lips as I quickly bend down and grab a hold of my bag. I pull it out and set it on top of my bed, opening it up. Once it's open I dig my hands through it pulling out a piece of paper and a pencil. Swiftly I walk over to the table and sit down, beginning to write out a letter to Alicia. 

Dear Alicia,

I'm sorry. This isn't the way I wanted to say goodbye, but right now the only thing on my mind is keeping you safe. Me being here on the farm, it's not helping you. If anything it's only caused more damage. I know you may disagree with that. Maybe a lot of the people here would but look at it from my perspective. Me staying here, it only puts a target on you and your family. I need to go, hunt down some of the people I grew up with. Find a way to steer clear from my uncle. 

You probably won't understand. I'm not going to ask you too. If I was in your shoes, I wouldn't understand either. But Alicia I want you to know that I'm sorry. I really am. I'm sorry that you weren't brought to that place. I'm sorry that those people hurt you. I'm sorry I couldn't protect you fully. On the other hand, I'm happy to have finally met you. Although I wish it was in better circumstances, the universe tends to do things in odd, mysterious ways. I'm grateful I met you and that you have such a strong connection with people who will be able to protect you more than I ever will be able too. 

I have to wrap this up. I hope this note finds you alright. But before I wrap it up I have to say one last thing. Over the time we've gotten to know one another and the time we've spent together I can't help but have feelings for you. I love you Alicia. I truly do and that's why this is so hard to do. Maybe one day we'll see one another again. Maybe the universe will bring us back together and I won't have to run away. 

Stay safe, 
Y/N

My fingers shake as tears slip down my cheeks. I drop the pencil and swiftly fold up the piece of paper, picking up the pencil once more and neatly writing Alicia acrossed it. Once I do, I drop the pencil for good and stand up from my seat. I leave the paper where it is and walk over to my bag beginning to grab all of my belongings and stuffing it inside. As I place the last thing in and zip it up I hear the door open and shut. I shut my eyes and freeze a moment, praying that it wasn't Alicia. 

"Y/N?" Madison's voice spoke. My eyes opened and a gentle sigh escaped as I turn on my heels, locking our eyes. A concerned, confused expression crossed the older Clark's face as her eyes went from me to my bags. "What are you doing?" 

I bite my lip and pick my bag up, slipping the straps on my shoulders. "I got to go Madison," I say, gently walking over to the table. 

"Go?" Madison asks. "Y/N, you don't have to go. There's a life here for you." 

"I know but it's also a danger for everyone here including your daughter," I respond shaking my head and looking down to the note. Gently I reach my hand to it and grab a hold of it. When it's in my hand I pick my head up and look to Madison who's head is tilted to the side. 

"Y/N, you don't have to do this." 

I nod my head, "Yeah, yeah I do-" I pause briefly walking towards the woman. "If I stay, my people could come looking. They find me here they'll not only kill me but they'll kill all of you and I don't want that to happen. I care too much. It's best if I just go, figure out where all of them are and put a stop to everything." 

Silence takes over us, but when I see Madison's head nod I knew she wasn't going to push it much further. And quite honestly I don't know if I was happy or mad about it. "If you think it's best, then I trust you." 

I nod, "Thank you Madison." The woman nods back at me and I glance down to the letter in my hands. "Do me two favors?" I pick my head back up and lock my eyes with Madison. 

"Sure, what are they?" 

"One, promise me you won't let anything happen to Alicia? Protect her at all costs," I say firstly. Madison nods her head giving me a gentle smile. "Secondly, give this to her for me..." I hold out my hand with the note to the woman as she reaches out and takes a hold of it. I drop my hand once she's taken it and look back to her eyes. 

"You love her, don't you?" Madison asks, catching me a bit off guard but I nod my head up and down slowly. The woman nods looking down at the letter. "I had a feeling especially seeing how you look at her." 

"Yeah...I want her safe, happy. And that's why I have to go." Madison nods her head once more, silence taking over. I nod back ready to walk around her when she steps forward and wraps her arms around me. I hesitate a moment before wrapping my own arms around the woman, a bit shocked that she's hugging me. 

"I appreciate everything you've done for her and everything you've done here," Madison whispers. "Know that if you ever need some place to stay, you're always welcomed here." 

"Thank you Madison...For everything," I whisper back before feeling the woman place something in my hand. After she does we pull apart, my fingers messing with the keys in my hand. Our eyes lock once more. A gentle smile on both of our faces before I tear my eyes away and walk out the door, letting my eyes wonder briefly before taking off to the truck and getting inside. A shaky, deep breathe escapes my lips while placing my bag on the passenger seat beside me and starting up the engine. Within seconds the engine is up and running and I take off fast...