Chapter 3

The horrific echo of the exploding ship shakes the very world Vader is standing on. The sound trembles through the galaxy, like the anguished cry of the Force itself. He is not the only one who can feel the disturbance; he can't be. 

He can hear her soul screaming out for help, begging the galaxy to show mercy to her children. Meanwhile, Vader stands on the ground watching the ordeal, utterly helpless. No matter how hard he tries, he is unable to move. He cannot stop the tragedy from unfolding, and he certainly cannot undo it. The damage is already done.

Suffering rents the air, as though its sole purpose is to tear apart every atom. It destroyed the universe; Vader's universe.

He collapses to his knees in anguish. Everything he did was for his family, and now they're gone. He lost (Y/N), he lost his kids, he lost his soul. The irredeemable choices he made were in vain. The lives he took and the futures he destroyed were for nothing.

Time slows as he watches the debris fall, signalling the death of everything he cared about. His vision grows dark as he feels his breaths fading away...

Vader awakens sharply in a fit of panic. His frantic eyes dart around him while his life-support suit struggles to balance his intense, hysterical breathing. 

It takes him a moment to realise that he's seated in his command ship and not watching the death of his wife. It was just a nightmare, but it felt far too real. He truly believed he was back in the same place he was months ago.

"Wow," The ghost of (Y/N) gushes from the co-pilot seat beside him. She keeps a sarcastic pout on her face, seemingly enjoying the pain in his heart. "Even in your dreams, you still can't save me."

Vader has the same nightmare every night. He relives the moment he lost his family. The moment when he was helpless. It is not something that gets easier with time. If anything, the nightmare becomes harder to deal with each night. 

He remains silent, refusing to acknowledge the projection of his regret seated beside him. He doesn't want to lose her, but he doesn't want her to be here through this. The very sight of (Y/N)'s ghost is enough to drown what remains of his heart in a pool of guilt.

In an attempt to ignore her, Vader activates the holo-transmission pad resting on the dash of his shuttle. His anticipated arrival on Mustafar is drawing near, and it's time to alert his Master of the progress of his journey.

Within a few seconds, the unappealing hologram of Darth Sidious appears on the transmission. It isn't exactly something one would want to see after a soul-crushing nightmare. 

"Lord Vader, have you arrived in the Mustafar system?" The transmission of the hooded Emperor asks.

"Yes, my Master," Vader responds.

The ghostly figure of (Y/N) tilts her head slightly to the left and furrows her brows. Something about the Emperor's appearance has sparked her curiosity, and Vader is sure to find out what it is. After all, the version of (Y/N) Skywalker he remembers was never great at biting her tongue. 

"Darth Sidious," She ponders, "Are you sure it isn't Darth Hideous?"

Her comment is both ridiculous and unexpected. It is the type of stupid comment (Y/N) or Anakin would make at the worst of times during missions. Obi-Wan Kenobi would be the first to admit how poorly timed their uncontrollable laughter used to be, but he would also say how nice it was to see true love thriving even in the hardest of times. 

Vader cannot help but chuckle at the absurd comment. He didn't want to react to avoid unwanted suspicion from his Master. Unfortunately, his mechanical voice simply couldn't hide it.