Chapter 21

Leia is escorted to the Death Star's control room by two armed stormtroopers. The handcuffed Princess is weak, a side effect of the truth serum forcefully injected into her body. She is covered in cuts and bruises, scars from their vile methods of torture. A brutal and ultimately cowardly move by the Empire

She was informed of the Death Star's power during the earlier interrogation; its ability to destroy civilisations is second to none. They gave her an ultimatum: reveal the location of the Rebellion's base, or Alderaan will suffer the consequences.

She delayed the confession until some of the truth serum had worn off, allowing her to have a little freedom in her choice of words. They asked her to reveal the location of the Rebellion's base, but they did not specify that it needed to be their current base. 

Leia's legs give way, causing her weak body to tumble. Two stormtroopers grab hold of her arms, catching her before she can hit the ground.

"They're on Dantooine," the leading Imperial officer announces, a sense of pride reflected in her pompous voice. 

Vader looks at the girl with... pity. Her usually neat hair is a mess, with strands sticking to her tear-stained face. She is far from the stoic, witty girl he captured just days prior. 

"There, you see, you can be reasonable." Tarkin turns to a nearby officer standing before a control panel. "Now, continue with the operation. You may fire when ready."

Leia concentrates hard, forcing her blurry vision to regain focus.  Upon staring out the glass at the far end of the bridge, she realises where the Death Star has arrived; home. 

"What?" Leia whimpers.

"You're far too trusting, Princess," Tarkin walks to Leia and grabs her chin, forcing her to look at his menacing helmet, "Dantooine is too remote to make an effective demonstration. We needed something far bigger, something that would be a much more appropriate display of power. But don't worry, we will deal with your Rebel friends soon enough."

The reality of the situation sinks in. They were never going to spare the innocent people of Alderaan. She never had a choice in the outcome. She should have allowed herself to die before the Empire had a chance to capture her. She should have tried harder.

"No!" Leia screams.

She launches herself toward Tarkin but is held back by the two stormtroopers. She thrashed against them, doing everything in her power to break free.

"Commence primary ignition," Tarkin orders.

"You can't do this!" She screams.

A terrifying combination of fear and anger develops in Leia's heart. For the first time in her life, she doesn't know what to say. She has outsmarted the Empire countless times in the past, but this will not be one of those times. She has nothing. 

"Kill me! Please," she lowers her head, "make an example out of me. Kill their Princess but spare my people, please."

Leia looks out at Alderaan; the planet she has called home for her entire life. Her birth parents were never there for her, but Bail and Breha Organa were. She vowed to always protect them and the innocent people of her planet. She cannot stand by and watch the planet burn.

"Please," she begs, her voice barely a whimper, "please don't do this."

Tarkin takes two steps toward the Princess and grabs her chin, forcing her to look at him. "I am simply doing the galaxy a favor. The scum of the Rebellion must be destroyed, including that of your pathetic family on Alderaan. You brought this on yourself."

Leia feels as though the air has been forced from her lungs. She cannot bring herself to speak, move, or breathe. She remains entirely motionless, silently knowing there is not a single thing she can do to change the outcome.