Chapter 14

In the years since the Republic's fall, much of Vader's body had recovered from the trauma inflicted on his body during the Battle of Mustafar. 

His lungs, however, have never healed. For this reason, he is still forced to wear the same breathing apparatus every day. The small device that covers the lower half of his face would seem better than the full helmet, but, in reality, it is much, much worse.

Along with his breathing apparatus inspired by Darth Malgus, Vader still wears his menacing, flowing black robes. He represents the dark side of the Force in every possible way, down to his choices of clothing.

His old helmet used to hide the face of the man hiding within. Without the helmet, he is forced to look at his victims before he strikes them down without mercy.

More menacing than that is what his victims see in the moments before their death; namely members of the Rebellion. Many of the soldiers fighting for the values of the Republic idolized Anakin Skywalker. They saw him as a war hero, and someone to aspire to be. In their last moments, many of these soldiers came face to face with the shadow of the hero they looked up to.

Though his eyes are Sith yellow and his face aged, it is impossible not to see the man underneath.

The children of the Republic who had turned into the soldiers of the rebellion were slaughtered by the Demon possessing the soul of a hero.

Darth Vader does not know Anakin Skywalker; not anymore.

All he knows is that Anakin was a Jedi Knight who stood for everything the Empire is against; freedom, bravery, justice. To his knowledge, Anakin perished during the fall of the Republic. 

Each day, the control Darth Sidious has over Vader grows stronger. He influences his thought patterns, implants false memories in his head, controls his emotions, and determines his actions. Sidious has seen to it that his apprentice will never discover that he was Anakin Skywalker.

Darth Sidious finally has exactly what he wanted; complete control over the Chosen One. Now that he has what he wants, he will never willingly give it away.

There was a time when, despite being a Sith apprentice, Vader still had some free will. His Master always had some level of control over his actions, but he did not always have complete control over his mind.

When he reunited with Ahsoka on Malachor, Anakin felt (Y/N)'s presence. Somewhere in the galaxy, he knew she was alive. If she were alive, then his kids probably were too.

Anakin managed to suppress the memory deep within the furthest reaches of his soul. No matter what, he would never let Darth Sidious discover the truth. To keep her hidden, he had to allow the darkness to take over. If Anakin still could somewhat influence the decisions made by Darth Vader, his Master would have no trouble in searching his mind for the real memories made on Malachor.

It is for that reason that he had to make the ultimate sacrifice. Anakin had to relinquish control of himself; mind, body, and soul. The only way for him to protect his wife and his children, his family, was to disappear into the force itself.

Anakin was the good side of Vader; the part that kept some minuscule piece of humanity within his soul. Anakin was the one who kept Vader from tearing the galaxy apart. Anakin was the one who kept love in Vader's heart through his love for his family.

Sadly, Anakin no longer exists.

Sometimes Vader can still feel a strange sensation in his heart, a feeling that he cannot describe. It provides his heart with warmth, like the sun on a spring day. It gives him a sense of peace; a serenity in comparison to the raging hate coursing through his veins.