Chapter 18

(Y/N) stops Luke's landspeeder on a ridge overlooking the haphazard landscape of another Tatooine city. It is an array of low, grey concrete structures and semi-dome buildings. It has the same, unappealing aura as every other desert city.

A harsh gale blows the coarse sand across the canyon. (Y/N) tightens the goggles given to her by Luke and analyses the landscape. The distance between their speeder and the city is minimal, but the nearby threats may be large. Thousandshreats linger among these sand dunes; Tuskens, Krayt Dragons, Sarlacc Pits, and other things no one would want to encounter. Anakin taught her that.

"Is this where we need to be?" She asks.

"Yep, this is the place," Luke responds. "Gee, it hasn't changed a bit."

Luke stares longingly at the city, thinking of the life he may have outside of this planet. Tatooine is all he has ever known. The thought of leaving and doing something meaningful seems surreal.

"Mos Eisley Spaceport," Obi-Wan announces. "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious."

"Maybe they should hire you as their publicist," (Y/N) mutters.

.                                        .                                          .

(Y/N) parks the speeder on a crowded street. They need to fit in, and staying among the general public is the easiest way.

Two armed stormtroopers look over to the speeder. Though it is impossible to see their eyes beneath their helmets, (Y/N) knows they are examining the droids. The troopers approach the speeder, standing close to the rear.

"How long have you had these droids?" The taller of the two stormtroopers asks.

"About three or four seasons," Luke responds, his facial expressions unmoving.

(Y/N) lowers her head to conceal the proud smile on her lips. Luke is an innocent kid who believed in the Empire until a few hours ago. After seeing how vile the Empire truly is, he was so quick to change his views. Now, he is lying to an armed stormtrooper without thinking twice about it. He has a lot of courage; something she admires.

"Let me see your identification," the shorter trooper demands.

Luke becomes nervous as he fumbles to find his identification. (Y/N) strategizes, hoping to think of any plan that may help their situation. She cannot fight them, for that would cause a scene, and she does not have enough to bribe them. Obi-Wan, on the other hand, seems to be one step ahead of her.

He waves his hand in front of his face, "you don't need to see his identification."

"We don't need to see his identification," the weak-minded stormtrooper repeats.

"These are not the droids you're looking for," Obi-Wan states.

"These are not the droids we're looking for."

Luke watches the interaction in awe. He cannot believe his parents possessed abilities of this kind. It makes him wish he had the opportunity to know them, even for just one day. He cannot imagine how incredible they must have been. Excitement builds in his heart at the thought of learning how to master the ways of the Force, just like his parents. 

"He can go about his business," Obi-Wan adds.

"You can go about your business," the stormtrooper says. "Move along."

(Y/N) gives the stormtroopers a two-finger salute before she restarts the speeder. She drives it further around the spaceport, hoping to create a reasonable distance between her group and the callous followers of the Empire.