Chapter 6

12 BBY

Pain is not easy to accept. Some cry out in agony for help while some show no response at all. Some see it as a prison while others utilise it as a weapon. Whether it be physical or emotional, pain has the power to tear an individual apart.

While unconscious on Mustafar, Vader did sustain some minor injuries as a result of smoke inhalation. These injuries were treatable, and in any other scenario, he would likely make a full recovery. The only problem was, Darth Sidious had bigger plans.

Sidious had an unconscious Vader moved to the former Grand Republic Medical Facility on Coruscant at the conclusion of his losing battle to (Y/N) (Y/L/N) and Obi-Wan Kenobi. Upon arrival, he was drugged to prolong his unaware state. In this time, Sidious used his strength in the Force to worsen the injuries Vader sustained. He irreparably damaged Vader's lungs, vocal cords, spine, and nerve endings. Part of this injury was punishment for allowing (Y/N) (Y/L/N) and Obi-Wan Kenobi to live. The other part was a strategy.

Sidious knew (Y/N) had planted a false memory in Vader's mind, which means he knew she had survived their encounter. He must admit it was a bold move, but it was ultimately a waste of her time.

Sidious needed (Y/N) to die along with the children of Anakin Skywalker. They were his weakness; the part of his soul still clutching onto the light. While ever they were breathing, Vader would always be at risk of returning to his former self.

If Vader ever physically witnessed his Master murdering his pregnant wife, he would not hesitate to slaughter the Sith Lord. It is for that reason he decided to find another way; a better way. Rather than killing (Y/N) (Y/L/N) in person, he came up with a much cleaner way of ending her life. He would transfer her life force to the one who shared her soul.

When two beings are connected by the will of the Force, they essentially share the one soul. Anakin Skywalker and (Y/N) (Y/L/N) shared a connection that broke every natural law the Jedi had known. Even Sidious himself had never seen or heard of anything like it. 

Once Sidious had inflicted life-threatening damage on Vader's body, the only way to bring him back from the brink of death was to drain (Y/N)'s soul. This would involve a delicate ritual to corrupt their pure connection and destroy the balance between them. His plan was diabolical, and it worked perfectly.

After the transfer, Sidious felt (Y/N)'s presence in the Force simply vanish. She was gone, completely erased from the galaxy, and her loss would be the greatest gift to his new apprentice.

You see, the key to a Sith's power is pain. Without pain, whether it be physical or emotional, a Sith can never fully connect with the dark side of the Force. As soon as (Y/N) and her children died, Vader's connection to the dark side of the Force grew stronger than even Sidious had ever imagined.

The soul transfer saved Vader from death, but it did not fix everything. Much of the damage inflicted will remain for the remainder of his life, but according to Sidious, that will only make him stronger. 

Vader is now required to wear a specialised suit every day; one developed to encapsulate the life support system he will need. It does, however, come with more than he bargained for.

The armour encases Vader completely, sealing his lungs from the toxicity of unfiltered air. The life support functions of the suit ensure Vader has enough oxygen and medicine to survive and, due to its pressurised nature, he can endure any environment. The suit gives him enhanced durability, greater sensory awareness, protection from most weaponry, and greater strength.

More menacing than these newfound strengths is the appearance of the suit. The frightening helmet creates an image of absolute terror; a shadow of darkness and death. It echoes a menacing growl due to his damaged vocal cords and thunderous breathing. The dark appearance helps him to be a greater asset to the Empire.