C H A P T E R 2

STANFORD

"There you go," spoke softly the woman before turning the computer towards Callie.

"Thank you so much Ms Carrera," Callie said hugging her tightly. "You have no idea how much it means to me"

Ms Carrera aka Kie's mother always took Cal under her wing. As her uncle wouldn't help her, Callie asked Anna Carrera if she could help her applying for Stanford, and so she just did.

-
-

"Great what do you want me to tell you? we'll see if they want you," her uncle spoke rudely, giving her the tea towel for her to help with the cleaning.

"Why don't you ever believe in me ? is it fucking too hard for you ?" she answered extremely bumped of her uncle's mentality.

"Young lady you'd better-"

"okay fine, just, leave me alone," she replied before he could even put one hand on her.

"See ya'" she finally spoke, throwing the kitchen towel to show she wouldn't do the cleaning, and left the house without answering to her uncles insults.

-
-

"To Stanford baby," toasted John B, fully happy of what was about to happen to one of his best friends.

"Only a rich chick could afford paying for it anyways," JJ added, to what Callie answered with a raised middle finger.

"How did James react?" asked Pope, laying on the chateau's hammock, concerned.

"Well he told me to do the dishes and shut up"

"nice, well at least he's not against the fact you're leaving," Kiara reassured.

"He's not my legal guardian, so he can't do anything against it. And I know he's not gonna give me a dollar so I'll have to pay with my own money"

"Wait what do you mean by leaving?"

"Well JJ Stanford is very far away so basically I'm not gonna stay here," Cal answered, making her way to sit next to JJ. She put her head on his shoulder. "I know you're gonna miss me tons," she teased.

He only replied with a nod and the five of them ended by bursting in laugh. Cal took a sip of her beer and enjoyed the last rays of sun with her friends.

After a nice afternoon, and after Pope drove the girls pair at Cal's place, the two of them decided to spend a girls night cause Cooper and James weren't home tonight.

"Head upstairs, take a shower and I'll prepare us something to eat for tonight," offered Callie, walking towards the kitchen.

She opened the fridge and tried to pick something. As she was about to close the door, she felt arms wrapping her waist and pulling her up in the air.

"Kie what are you doing ?" she laughed but still tried to get away.

"Shh- sweetheart you're good," she immediately recognised the voice behind her and tried to get away from his strength as fast as she could.

"Rafe just let me go!" she practically begged.

"I said you're good," he replied putting her feet back on the floor, facing her now. She looked up at him, before pulling back, not knowing what she was scared of.

"What the fuck Rafe?"

"Watch your language Callie," he corrected her and she rolled eyes.

They stayed here, looking at each other silently for a few seconds, challenge in her eyes. She wanted to prove him he had no right to act with her the way he was acting with all the other girls.

"What are you doing here?" she asked.

"Coop and I got back from the party earlier than expected"

"Weren't you supposed to sleep there? and where is he by the way?"

"He's upstairs showering. Sorry princess but you'll have to deal with us. We won't bother you though"

Showering      

Damn, but Kie was showering. What if Cooper opened the bathroom's door while she was in it?

She apparently wondered this out loud because he smiled and walked closer.

"Would've been funny I admit," added Rafe, putting his hands on both of her shoulders.

"I'll check up on her. Just don't burn the house please," she spoke leaving the kitchen.

Before completely disappearing, she turned around to face Rafe again. "You should shower too. You smell like drugs."

"Only if you open the bathrooms door while I'm in"

"Gross," she threw him an apple she found on the counter he caught perfectly. They both laughed and separated their ways for Cal to check up on her friend.

-
-

tw: abuse

"Damn," Callie silently yelled, hitting her forehead against a closed door.

Because of period cramps, she got forced to head to the bathroom and find painkillers if she wanted to try and fall asleep. "Where the hell did he put it?" she asked out loud to herself, searching for paracetamol.

"Cal? what are you searching for?" her uncles voice said.

"James? what are you doing here? weren't you supposed not to go home tonight?" she asked to her uncle, entering the bathroom.

"Well are you against it?" he asked, coming closer from her. "also why are you looking into my stuffs? get away from my bathroom"

"It's not your bathroom and don't even try to give me any order. I just came here to take para-"

Suddenly he took many locks of her hair into his hand and dragged her towards him. "just do what I'm asking you to"

"Or what?" she asked to what he got upset and got even closer to her.

"You really don't wanna know. Or maybe you wanna feel again what I did to you the other day?"

She pulled back and felt a tear pouring down her cheek. He left the bathroom and she looked at herself in the mirror.

More than losing both of her parents, she was constrained to live with her abusive uncle and it didn't make her mourning easier.

In the mirror, she saw Rafe's figure taking place and before turning around to look at him, she wiped her tears away.

"What's up Rafe?" she asked with the most natural voice ever.

"You don't have to pretend. I've just heard everything. What's going on between you two?" he asked, weirdly concerned. "I mean I still hate you and so on but like, does he, you know?"

"I don't know what you're talking about Cameron," she only replied, trying to escape the bathroom but she clearly couldn't because of the fact he was standing on the door's gap.

"Don't try to escape me Sanders. Does he physically hurt you yes or no ?" she sighed to his question and looked up at him, tears in the eyes.

"Look I don't know why you would even care and I doubt you do, so let me go now" she instructed him.

"No"

"Yes you will"

"Cal tell me what the hell is going on I'm not joking anymore"

"Oh cause you were joking? quite didn't seem like it," she only replied trying to make her way out of the room.

He looked down at her with a gaze she didn't expect him to give. She poked his chest and he understood she was not comfortable with telling him.

"You already know what's going on. Now let me go and mind your own business," she rudely finished by speaking, finding her way to leave the bathroom.

"Sorry that I care about you," he softly said, and she pretended she didn't hear it. Because it wasn't true, right?

This night, she ended by not finding paracetamol but in the end, it wasn't a big deal.