C H A P T E R 33

ENDING

How fast had summer passed was incredible. They couldn't even believe it. They all remembered the beginning of all of it like it was yesterday somehow.

When Kiara didn't get invited at Sarah's party, the day when Callie told them for her Stanford interview or when they were talking about september like it was so far away.

Now it wasn't far anymore and they could already feel the nostalgia. After a long day of surfing, drinking and sunbathing, they were now all gathered around a campfire.

"I have something to tell you guys," Callie said, looking at them.

"Please don't be pregnant," JJ said, as he was always saying, to what he faced Kie's threatening gaze.

"I hum.. so I didn't get in Stanford," she said slowly, playing with the sand.

"You didn't? how the hell is it possible?" Kie asked, disappointed.

"I don't know they said they had too many applyments and they didn't choose me"

"That sucks bro," John B said, running his hand through his hair.

"So what are you gonna do?" asked Pope.

"I'm staying here with you, and even if Coop doesn't want me to, I'll find a job instead of continuing studies"

"That's kinda sad for you," John B said.

"You could work at the Wreck. I'm sure my parents would love having their favorite girl with them," Kie added, enthusiastic.

"Thanks Kie. And yeah it's kinda sad but it's fine because I get to stay with you longer. It's also why I didn't apply for other schools honestly"

"I'm personally happy for her," JJ interrupted. "and for us," he smiled "we're keeping the full team together"

"Once a pogue always a pogue," said Pope.

She smiled as they all got up and pulled her in somewhat of a group hug. "I love you guys"

"I love you too," Kie said. "I'm so glad you're here to help me dealing with these.. boys"

"Eh Kie!" JJ yelled, as they all pulled away from the hug.

"I was kidding, we love you, don't we Cal?" Kie winked at her.

"Yeah we love our boys," she laughed as she said it.

It was now completely dark and only the campfire plus the moon were enlightening them. "I start to get cold I'm gonna head home," Kie said, looking at the others.

"I'm driving you," said Pope.

John B left with them so that made JJ and Callie the two only left on the sand. She laid her head on his shoulder and contemplated the beautiful waves.

"You okay Cal?" asked JJ. She only nodded.

"It was the best and the worst summer of my life," she said, tears in her eyes. He smiled and kissed her head. "but I'm nostalgic already"

"I promise it's not over. Our future's gonna be amazing"

"How is it going with this whole Kiara and Pope thing? I mean they're kind of close"

"It's okay Cal. As long as they don't date they can tease and flirt as much as they want"

She kissed his cheek. "you're the best friend they could wish for," she said slowly. "We could all wish for" she corrected herself.

"It's because I love you. The pogues are really my only family"

"Me too JJ. Me too," she said to comfort him, not forgetting about her brother and her boyfriend.

"I'm gonna go. Goodnight princess," he kissed her forehead as he got up and left the beach.

She was now alone, focusing on the wind blowing slowly on her face.

She was the happiest girl on earth and even after everything that she had lost this summer, she felt completely peaceful.

Maybe this was the best time of her life after all. She was surrounded by the humans she loved the most on this planet and couldn't wish for anything else. Or maybe for her parents.

For a second she forgot about it. She forgot her pain and it broke her even more. She knew they'd still be proud of who she became, so she started to smile at herself.

"Hey pretty lady, is there a way I can get your phone number?" she heard a voice from behind her.

"Wait, ask my boyfriend first," she quipped as she had recognised his voice.

Rafe sat next to her, where JJ was sitting a few minutes ago and stayed silent.

The fire had gone out now but the moon was shining bright. She kissed his shoulder before closing her eyes and breathing his perfume. It was her favorite.

"Do you remember when we first kissed?" asked Rafe out of nowhere. She laughed and rolled eyes.

"Yeah at the dinner at your place. You kissed me to «calm me down» or whatever bullshit excuse you found"

"No Cal. I meant the first time we actually kissed. Like a real kiss that meant something for both of us," he smiled.

"What would you say then? it meant something to me that day in your bathroom"

"I'd say when you kissed me at the bar in California," he said eyeing her.

"Mm true it was not that bad," she laughed.

"I mean, it's when I first realised I couldn't mess up the whole thing. Our relationship was already too precious to me," he said, as she kissed his cheek.

"It's cute when Rafe Cameron is being a simp for me"

"I'm not a simp, I-"

"Hey chill, I love this side of you," she finally said before kissing his lips and pushing him on the sand. "You're far from done with me"

"Ok I'm ready," he said, kissing her as she was on top of him, looking at him like he was the most precious thing in the world.

They smiled at each other and sat more properly on the sand. They loved each other more than conceivable, it was obvious by the way they couldn't be apart from each other for too long.

And as they were sitting there they had no need to hold each others hand, she knew he was hers and he knew she was his.

-
-

Thank you so much