C H A P T E R 7

DEPARTURE

note : the outfit I'm talking about later in the chapter is in the header spot

After a long night of sleeping, Callie got up in the morning, well rested. She got out of her bedroom, got ready and as she was about to leave and join her friends, she saw a post-it note on the front door.

«Don't leave without cleaning the house and don't forget the dishes»

"Fuck," she complained on her own,"he's gonna do everything he can to ruin my life right?"

She took her phone and texted the pogues to let them know she couldn't hang out with them today. They quickly replied it was okay but she really didn't think it was.

"What are you doing?" Coop asked, just waking up, apparently.

"Playing mini-golf, wanna join?" he smirked to his little sister's sarcasm.

"I need to talk to you, but I'll let you go back golfing later don't worry about that," Coop quipped, while Callie dried up some plates.

"What's up? new girlfriend?" she joked, leaning on the kitchen worktop with both of her elbows.

"No not really. So you know Rafe and I are like very very close right?" he marked a pause before going ahead. "and you also know we don't hide things from each other?" to these words, Callie's anxiety surfaced and she felt herself redden a little bit.

If Rafe told Coop about their kiss the day before, she knew she would probably die of awkwardness.

"Yup, I do know this," she only replied, acting busy with the dishes.

"I'm not dumb, I saw even before he told me what happened that something was going on," he kept going.

"Look Coop it's not what it looks like"

"I'm your brother and I know it's awkward and everything but-"

"Can we just not talk about it please?" she practically begged, cutting him off.

She hated Rafe so much right now. If he was in front of her she would probably have broken up his nose.

She thought she was more than just some other girl he could add to his « girls I've kissed counter» and brag about.

"As you want but just know that after what I told this asshole, he's not gonna do it again"

"Great. Thanks," she closed the conversation, as he left the kitchen.

Callie laughed at herself: the fact her brother knew she kissed his best friend made the situation pretty ticklish. Not that it meant anything. Did it?

"Hey you could at least pretend to help me with the cleaning!" she yelled at her brother, out of sight now.

"Busy!" he yelled from the other side of the house, probably lying anyways.

-
-

Callie woke up by the sound of her alarm, which meant it was already 7:30 am. She left out a sigh and got up to take a shower and get ready.

She tied her hair in a messy bun and put on a blue shirt that used to belong to John B, with a very short white tank top and a pair of white shorts.

Today was the day.

It was not even 8am and it was already hot as hell outside. Welcome in the Outer Banks.

She got out of her bedroom and met her uncle already up. She greeted him and went in the kitchen to take a quick breakfast.

"Wow y'already up? surfing all day yesterday didn't tire you enough? you'll grow gills if you keep surfing that much," said James, entering the kitchen too.

"Well remember I have to be ready at 8.30am for Topper to pick me up," she answered rudely, annoyed "also don't forget you got me grounded home for the cleaning so couldn't-"

A honk cut her off and she looked through the window, noticing indeed a car parked there.

"I think he's already here," said James, leaving the kitchen.

"No way Sherlock" she whispered, maybe a bit too loud, but she didn't care.

Callie speedily put her favorite pair of vans on and grabbed her suitcase. She closed the door behind her and saw a big grey car waiting for her.

"Let's have some fun with my best friend," she ironically said at herself, walking towards the car with tinted windows.

She opened the car boot, put quickly her suitcase in it and without thinking, she opened the cars door.

She was stressing out, positive Topper would once again try to win her trust and use any open door to do God knows what. That's why she knew she shouldn't leave any open door with him.

"Hey hey hey," she's heard from the inside of the car. She sat on the passenger sit and her heart skipped a beat .

"Rafe?" she asked, surprised to see him and not his dirty friend "What are you doing here? Didn't you say you had other plans?"

"Yeah well I cancelled my plans," he replied, crossing her gaze, and running his fingers through his blonde hair "for you," he added, to what she smiled.

"For me? Damn Cameron you're such a-"

"An amazing man? I know," he cut her off.

"That's pretty much not what I was about to say" she giggled.

"You really thought I'd let him drive you?" he joked, to what she laughed awkwardly and her anxiety subsided.

"Why not?" she asked, just to tease.

"Well if you really want it, I can call him and he'll drive you with pleasure" he quipped.

"Mm mm, I'd like to, actually," she lied smiling.

"Yeah, keep dreaming Sanders," he snickered, starting the engine of the car, and winking at his cute passenger.

Well, this was gonna be long.

-
-

Writers note : I'm just gonna pretend the trip isn't as long as it is in real life or else it'll be 2910 chapters of road trip.