Chapter Twenty One

Twenty One

Things were getting out her hand. She pressed a button on the telephone which sat on her table "Take who you can and find David!!" Agu gritted her teeth.

"Yes ma'am" Okafor smiled.

"So this is where you stay now?" David looked around his mom's new flat in Asaba. Pictures of his mom and her new husband hung around the living room.

"Yes, it is" Chioma dropped her house and car keys on the center table. "You must be hungry, I'll make lunch. Feel at home" She left for the kitchen.

"I guess mom is living well now that she's remarried" David's eyes ran over the bright red sofas, the small yet stylish four seater dining table and the flawless white paint and mismatched paintings.

"Hmm" Efe glanced around again. "I guess so" she stared at her brother whose hands were in his pockets, he too, watched her through the mirror.

"What's the matter?" A slight British accent brushed his voice.

"You grew up well" Efe smiled sadly, now looking at him through the mirror too "I'm sorry I didn't recognize you all those years"

David shrugged "I'm the one who should be sorry. I tried to kill you" He walked up to her.

"Well, I'm still alive." She huffed "it'll take more than a fifteen year old to kill me" Efe taunted

"Ooohh, I recently turned sixteen" his brows shut upwards "Wanna see about that?" He cracked his knuckles.

"Wow, you're looking for a beating aren't you?" They laughed

"By the way eh..." David whispered "Kedu aha nne? I feel weird calling her mommy or mom, seeing we haven't really been with her all these years"

"Enweghị m ike icheta. We only called her mommy when we were little. Ask her when she comes back" Efe suggested but David eyed her.

Translation:

David: "What is mother's name?"

Efe: "I can't remember"

"Nice try. You're the senior na! You do it" he laughed a little. Sitting on a short chair's armrest.

"Chicken" she pushed him away. 

"Here she comes..." David whispered to Efe then quickly took a seat on one of the longer chairs away from Efe but she ran to sit beside him.

Chioma put a full tray of food on the dining table. "Come and eat" she called. As they approached, they saw beverages and cereals and cake slices. David rushed to the table and made a bowl of corn flakes, he was halfway through when Efe joined in. She spread peanut butter all over seven slices of bread then devoured it with nescafe coffee and a whole tin of milk. She just realized how hungry she was. 

Their mother watched.

David was almost finished with the box of Corn flakes while on the other hand, the whole sliced bread did little to satisfy Efe's hunger.

"Wow" Chioma stood amazed.

"They don't let us have this there" David mumbled when Chioma sat with them. 

"I can't remember the last time I ate sef... Forgive me for being a pig" Efe whined between bites.

"So you know" David and Chioma replied

"Ahah naa" she tried to frown with full cheeks.

"Don't worry eat joor" Chioma laughed. 

"Chipmunk" David kicked Efe under the table, when she looked at him, he glanced at their mom.