Chapter Thirty Four

Thirty Four

Previously:
"I'd rather die of battle wounds than in their hands. Keep moving"

"What did they do to you?!"
At that time, she noticed that fear was an emotion she never saw on her brother.

"Let's stop here for a while..." Said Efe.

"This is not nearly far enough" David frowned.

"I know! We won't get anywhere if you pass out. Besides, we are here for only five minutes"

   The tattered iron roofing of an empty store, sheltered them from the rain. At a corner, stood an old long bench. Efe sat down then motioned for David to sit beside her. She took his hand in hers, passing on her healing powers. "I'm sorry but I will only heal the parts that put you in immediate danger" Efe sighed "I won't be able to protect us if I finish my energy on healing"

"That's fine by me. Don't stress yourself" David's eyebrows furrowed at a thought. "I won't go into details because I can't think straight right now. My mind is the only thing holding my body together.." He sighed. ".. I will tell you this. A year ago, I found a confidential file on Agu's desk. It was about an organization specially trained in killing Anomalies; that's what they call our kind. Apparently, eight years ago a single man saw our kind and decided that we were a threat to humankind. He poured all his time and money into training the best people for one purpose only. Every two years they took in new recruits and then a few years back, they started performing experiments on them. Several recruits were successfully augmented but they also lost a lot of people so they shut down the programme; they poured all their efforts and resources into the augmented ones and now... "

****
   James cried out, struggling to break free from the debris. Rain mixed with blood from his head, pooled at his chest. He tried again to lift the rubble with his powers but he could only lift it a few inches before it came crashing down on him again. He yelled in pain. "Help!!! Help me oh! Somebody help!!" He coughed, feeling the cold from the rain. His elbows would give out at any minute and his head would be plunged into the puddle of rain. "Somebody help me oh. I'll give you anything you want."

Heavy black boots splashed water on James' head. "I already have a house in lekki. What else could you offer me?" A deep monotonous voice responded.

"I'll give you whatever you ask.. Just help me out of here" James begged in pretense. "I'm just a helpless rich man. I got stuck here when those demons were fighting. Help me"

"Wow... I didn't know Honourables took acting classes oh!" The man stooped to look James over. "Honorable James, we have orders to bring you in. Dead or alive. If you refuse, your mother, wife and kids will be gunned down at the barracks."

"What??!!" James exclaimed "Do you know who I am? Do you know who you're messing with!?" He roared in anger.

"I believe I do, Honorable James. Now, what will it be?"

"Why are you doing this? Who put you up to this?"James' eyes bulged in anger. The man stood from his squatting position.

"I'll put this in your words... My team and I have been given a very important mission from above and that is to eradicate demons like yourself and your destructive friends from this world." He pulled off his black leather hood to reveal a brown smooth bald head. James noticed four others dressed in the same black attire as the one speaking. Black boots, jackets and trousers.

"My family has nothing to do with this! Let them go!" He demanded.

"You're in no position to demand anything. Besides the mother of a demon is a witch and the wife of a demon cannot produce humans... Hence, all shall die together." The man laughed.