𝐱. the september strain

CHAPTER TEN
butterfly's repose — part one
" 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖘𝖊𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖒𝖇𝖊𝖗 𝖘𝖙𝖗𝖆𝖎𝖓. "

     𝐈𝐓 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐄𝐗𝐀𝐂𝐓𝐋𝐘 𝐇𝐎𝐖 𝐒𝐇𝐄 𝐑𝐄𝐌𝐄𝐌𝐁𝐄𝐑𝐄𝐃 𝐈𝐓. Of course it was. Selene safely assumed that no one had entered the cave since her last transformation before Hogwarts broke up for the summer break, but even then, it hadn't been touched. 

     The cave in which Selene inhabited for one night a month for her transformation into a werewolf was located just outside of the Forbidden Forest. It was quite the trek ─ seeing as they had to walk around the forest to avoid as much danger as possible ─ but Selene never questioned why Dumbledore wished for her to be so far from the castle because Selene was dangerous. She hated thinking it, but she knew she was. Helplessly dangerous. And Dumbeldore only had the best of his students at heart.

     Madam Pomfrey always accompanied Selene to her cave. That's why the Ravenclaw always appreciated the nurse's efforts. Not everyone would be willing to walk at least thirty minutes near a forest like that, with nighttime at their heels. It was a truly selfless act.

     A pinching pain seared through the muscles in her neck as Selene examined the cave from the outside. Already covered in achy pains from the closeness of the transformation, the craning of her neck to inspect the familiar room didn't make her feel any better. But she was simply trying to work up the courage to go in. 

     Madam Pomfrey was patient. It was hard for Selene to return to this cave ─ a place filled to the brim with awful memories, that brought both physical and mental pain to the teenager every month. It was like a trauma hole in the ground. And Madam Pomfrey knew that all Selene needed was time. To adjust. To be ready to do it all again.

     Selene took a deep breath as she stepped into the cave, the sound of her heel against the stone echoing further inside. It was deep longways, and went far inside the hill it was buried underneath. The jagged lines of where her wolf form's claws were still rooted far into the grey walls, and moss painted pictures and coloured in the cracks of the marks. A lone lamp was placed in front of the curvature of the rock walls. It was a new one. Madam Pomfrey constantly had to replace them because when in her werewolf form, Selene would no doubt destroy it. It was her only source of light when the giant boulder was pushed in front of the opening. Selene then stared straight ahead, where she was met with pitch-black from where the sunlight couldn't reach that far inside.