𝐱𝐢. catchup

CHAPTER ELEVEN
butterfly's repose — part two
" 𝖈𝖆𝖙𝖈𝖍𝖚𝖕. "

     𝐒𝐄𝐋𝐄𝐍𝐄 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐏𝐋𝐀𝐍𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐓𝐎 𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐑𝐔𝐒𝐓 𝐒𝐋𝐄𝐄𝐏 𝐓𝐎 𝐑𝐈𝐃 𝐇𝐄𝐑 𝐎𝐅 𝐀𝐋𝐋 𝐎𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐅𝐋𝐈𝐓𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐓𝐇𝐎𝐔𝐆𝐇𝐓𝐒 𝐓𝐇𝐀𝐓 𝐋𝐈𝐓𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐄𝐃 𝐇𝐄𝐑 𝐌𝐈𝐍𝐃

𝐒𝐄𝐋𝐄𝐍𝐄 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐏𝐋𝐀𝐍𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐓𝐎 𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐑𝐔𝐒𝐓 𝐒𝐋𝐄𝐄𝐏 𝐓𝐎 𝐑𝐈𝐃 𝐇𝐄𝐑 𝐎𝐅 𝐀𝐋𝐋 𝐎𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐅𝐋𝐈𝐓𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐓𝐇𝐎𝐔𝐆𝐇𝐓𝐒 𝐓𝐇𝐀𝐓 𝐋𝐈𝐓𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐄𝐃 𝐇𝐄𝐑 𝐌𝐈𝐍𝐃. The invasive queries, the unwanted theories that she couldn't quite shake away. Selene hated sleeping after a transformation. It always seemed to do the opposite of what it was supposed to do, which was essentially, to calm her nerves, bring her peace. Peace is a myth to Selene right now. And the fact that she is hoping sleep is going to soothe her frazzled brain is saying something. Because it is her last resort.

Madam Pomfrey insisted Selene spend another night in the hospital wing for further inspection, despite Selene's constant protests because she was itching to get back to class. For someone who already enjoyed school more than the average student, Selene was practically dying inside (which is normal, even though she isn't quite used to it ─ she doesn't think she ever will be) stuck staring at the folds of a hospital curtain that couldn't be any more dully coloured if it tried, when a new day dawned.

Remus Lupin, who ─ unknown to Selene ─ sits on the opposite side of the wing in (surprisingly enough) the exact same circumstances as the Ravenclaw and isn't much happier about it than Selene is. In fact, Remus is just as perplexed.

Remus chooses not to remember anything about his monthly transformations. Which sounds strange because no one chooses what they do or do not want to remember. But Remus has practised. He has since picked up a technique that grants him almost full control over his mind and memory centre, allowing him to block out and sensor what he chooses. Usually, that is anything and everything that happened from the afternoon to around about now. But Remus seems to have lost control ─ he no longer holds the ability to squeeze his eyes shut and forget about everything surrounding his transformation. Because one small detail ─ that may not be that small after all ─ holds him in a chokehold that he can't escape from.