𝐱𝐢𝐱. trying new things

CHAPTER NINETEEN
butterfly's repose — part two
" 𝖙𝖗𝖞𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖓𝖊𝖜 𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌𝖘. "

     𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘-𝐅𝐈𝐑𝐒𝐓 𝐎𝐅 𝐎𝐂𝐓𝐎𝐁𝐄𝐑 𝐌𝐄𝐀𝐍𝐓 𝐍𝐎𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐓𝐎 𝐒𝐄𝐋𝐄𝐍𝐄. In fact, in her opinion, she believed it should also mean nothing to her peers. It was a stupid holiday, an American tradition, focused on dressing up in stupid outfits as an excuse to stuff your face with sweets. Selene is all for treating oneself with sugary delights but one fateful year, Halloween was ruined for her.

     Selene was seven when it happened, and just like every other child in her neighbourhood, she liked the idea of dressing up as a cute witch and going around snagging candy off of everyone she could. But this one year, when she was out with her parents trick or treating, she saw a little Muggle boy dressed up as a werewolf and she was pretty certain that started her downward spiral towards her early-life crisis. No seven-year-old should ever have to go through that and she has since vouched to never celebrate it again. Carving pumpkins was one thing but that was as far as she was willing to go.

     When the actual day rolled around and the Great Hall was lit up with an orange glow like it was the most important day of the year with seasonal cakes and flying pumpkins, she wasn't nearly as enthusiastic as her peers around her who were sitting eating their breakfast in costume.

     One person Selene was grateful had not dressed up for the entire normal school day was Lily Evans. Selene was happy to know she wasn't the only one walking around in her normal clothes when she bumped into Lily on her way to the library and they decided to walk together.

     "Gryffindor's hosting a party tonight, are you going?" Lily asked with a warm, unsuspecting smile looking over at Selene who had now gone very quiet.

     Selene couldn't ignore the hopeful look in Lily's eyes when she asked but unfortunately, for both of them, it seemed, Selene didn't have the answer Lily was looking for. "Wasn't invited," she shrugged.