𝐯𝐢. a justified breakout

CHAPTER SIX
butterfly's repose — part one
" 𝖆 𝖏𝖚𝖘𝖙𝖎𝖋𝖎𝖊𝖉 𝖇𝖗𝖊𝖆𝖐𝖔𝖚𝖙. "

     𝐀 𝐃𝐄𝐓𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐈𝐍𝐄𝐕𝐈𝐓𝐀𝐁𝐋𝐄 𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐍 𝐆𝐄𝐓𝐓𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐂𝐀𝐔𝐆𝐇𝐓

     𝐀 𝐃𝐄𝐓𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐈𝐍𝐄𝐕𝐈𝐓𝐀𝐁𝐋𝐄 𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐍 𝐆𝐄𝐓𝐓𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐂𝐀𝐔𝐆𝐇𝐓. Even if you didn't do anything wrong. And, in this case, not only was the detention inevitable, but it was also immediate.

     It was Professor McGonagall that took care of them that night, not the Headmaster, and Selene tried desperately to defend herself and Lily and Remus. Peter was sweet, but it was no doubt that he had a hand in the dungbomb incident. But as fond as McGonagall was of the Ravenclaw with a perfect track record and flawless grades, Madam Pince had different ideas. Selene had at least thought that after all those hours of small talk she had made with the librarian, would have created some kind of two-way relationship. Maybe Madam Pince just found Selene annoying, and therefore testified against her innocence.

     Remus tried his best to vouch for Selene and Lily too, claiming they had nothing to do with the explosion, and that they were just as surprised as the other library-goers were when the dung came flying. McGonagall did take into account that James Potter, Sirius Black, and Peter Pettigrew were ones to go looking for mischief, but she also didn't forget that Selene, Remus, and Lily were all found at the scene of the crime. But there was still dung and dust and dirt to clean up, and McGonagall just saw that as a mess to get rid of — not as a whodunnit situation.

     And so, utterly defeated, Selene trudged back to the library with the other five — James, Sirius, Peter, and Lily given the task to scrub the carpet squeaky clean, and, seen as it doesn't take six to clean, the other two were given a different task, as punishment for something they didn't do. They had to identify the wrongly returned books and put them back to the shelves that they belonged in — a marathon of a task, because, apparently, no student at Hogwarts knew how a library works. Even with magic.

     They worked in pained silence (it still was a library) and by the time that nine o'clock came around, Selene's arms ached, and the completion of their task seemed like a mile away.