.seventeen

"Maeve?"

Maeve stared blankly down at her hands. Deaton's words rang loud and clear, she would never be a werewolf again - not unless she was turned.

Derek watched his wife in concern, she was trying not to break down over the loss of part of her that had existed for over 10 years. They'd weighed up their options, even if he wanted to turn her, well, after Paige... he couldn't take that risk.

"I'm okay," Maeve said in a whisper, tracing her fingernails where her claws once were. "It's okay."

Deaton shared a sad look with Derek before turning to leave to give the couple space, he paused in the doorway, turning back to face them

"Your mate bond," Alan started, "Has it changed?"

Maeve smiled softly, "No."

By some miracle, Maeve could still feel the bond between her and Derek, the magical pull hadn't broken despite all the odds now she was human.

Walking to the back office, Alan pushed open the squeaky door. At the sudden squeak Sam jumped in surprise, knocking over his drink as his claws emerged from his skin.

Luna looked up from her homework with wide eyes, taking in Sams panicked stare at his hands.

She reached over and took his hand, Sam slowly looked up at her, instantly feeling calm.

"Its okay," Luna comforted, grinning as Sams claws slowly retracted, "That's it."

Sam sat back in relief, nervously glancing over his shoulder at his father. Alan was definitely curious, his sons control was temperamental but Luna always helped him control it - it was very familiar to the couple he saw ten years previously,

Alan smiled encouragingly, "It's alright, control takes time, Samuel."

Sam nodded, looking away with a blush, "Yeah, I guess you're right."

Derek wrapped his arms around Maeve, his wife relaxing against his chest. It was such a different reality for them now, neither knew how to deal with it.

Maeve looked up at him with a sad smile, "Looks like we got a head-start on our step back from beacon hills plan."

"Looks like it," Derek sighed, "Are you sure you're alright?"

Maeve shrugged, picking up the journal Alan had gifted them, "I will be, I've been human before, haven't I?Right now we need to focus on Florence. Alan says this is all he knows, so we'll have to take your dad up on his offer."

Derek frowned, he didn't like it, his suspicions over his father were still raised - but after his and Talia's trust in this pack, Derek knew they had no choice.

Derek and Maeve had known for months that Florence was different from her siblings, and they needed to know just how different she was.

"Nervous?"

Malia smiled shyly, nodding her head at Isaac. Cora and Dean bickered loudly in the backseat, somehow Cora had been hit in the face with his lacrosse stick - Dean denies all allegations.

Malia was finally going to high school, it had taken lots of convincing ( mainly Maeve ) for her to go, but Malia eventually gave in.

"You'll be okay, we'll all be with you today," Isaac promised, parking the car beside Stiles' duct tape covered jeep.

Malia took a deep breath, opening the car door with a slam, looking up in shock as it hit Stiles' car.

"Oi!" Stiles wound down the window, gasping as it suddenly closed on his face, "Don't hurt Roscoe!"