eleven.

"You're both mental! You can't just kill him."

Chris had arrived about an hour earlier to talk about how the hell they're going to keep Gerard from storming in and killing them all,  but much to his annoyance, the general idea was to kill Gerard before he had the chance.

"Like your sister killed half my family?"  Maeve added spitefully, sipping on her coffee, "I'd say morals are out of the window at this point, Chris."

Chris sighed, "I don't know what to do, he's already got his hooks into Allison."

"Christopher, not Allison, she's too young," Lorraine stood up angrily, "Why didn't you stop him!"

"Do you think I haven't tried!" Chris defended.

"Try harder, this is your child!" Lorraine shouted, "I couldn't protect you kids from him, I won't let it happen to my granddaughter!"

"I can't protect her from everything, I tried that with Maeve and it ended up with her on her deathbed!" Chris shouted back, turning and storming out of Elizabeth's apartment.

Maeve stood up with a sigh, glaring at her mother before following Chris out of the door.

Lorraine watched the interaction thoughtfully, "What'd you do to piss her off? She looks like she wants to tear your head off."

"I have no idea," Elizabeth shrugged, taking a large sip of her wine, "You never know with Maeve."

Maeve jogged down the steps, following him out to the small garden, "Chris!"

Chris waited for her to catch up, guiltily staring down at his niece.

"Listen," Maeve started, "I get it, Allison's in love and then theres Gerard breathing down her neck-"

"I don't know how to protect her," Chris admitted, interrupting her.

"Its not about protecting her, it's about being here for her when she makes the wrong decisions, being happy for her when she makes the right ones," Maeve continued, "I can only protect Luna so much, she's so young and I can only tell her so much without scaring her. God, that kid hears everything, she summarised Scott turning into a werewolf for her creative writing homework."

Chris shook his head with a chuckle, "She sounds like you."

It was still painful for Chris to know he didn't have a role in his great niece's life, he just hoped soon he would be able to get to know Luna as he should.

"Everyone says so," Maeve grinned proudly, nudging his shoulder, "Just don't listen to nan. You did protect me, despite how it all turned out. It's an impossible task playing peacemaker in a family like ours."

Chris sighed, avoiding her gaze, "I should've done more to protect you."

"But you tried, thats what matters, I had no one else to defend me in our family, you were the only one," Maeve argued, "You did as much as you could, you had your own family to look after, just like you do now."

"You're my family too, Maeve."

Maeve smiled sadly, "Even if you did protect me like you wanted, I wouldn't have Luna, and even though he drives me mad, I wouldn't have Derek. And to be honest, I can't imagine my life without them."

Falling into a silence, Maeve couldn't keep yesterdays discovery to herself, "Chris- Did Mom ever tell you about my dad?"

Maeve barley slept last night, after sobbing in Derek's arms for hours she eventually fell asleep, but later wake up and let her confused thoughts keep her awake all night. If her brain wasn't so full, she'd question why she went straight to Derek for comfort ( but deep down she knew why )