one

Finally got this up at midnight but, happy birthday to me 🎉 I hope you all enjoy the first chapter of soulmates!!!

Derek stared forward with wide eyes as Maeve's body fell against the mud, pulling himself to rush to her side as sharp gun shots echoed through the almost silent woods. Derek gently wrapped his hands around Maeve's hips, pulling her into his arms to sit her up, his claws returning to nails as his fingers dug into her maroon jumper.

Blood ran down Maeve's forehead, patches of mud smeared across her rose tainted cheeks, the remaining blood of her healing stab wound staining Derek's blue t-shirt. Derek's black converse sunk further into the mud as he slowly stood up, shifting Maeve's body in his arms as he searched his surroundings nervously.

Like most full moons, Peter Hale was running through the woods in search of his troubled nephew, one hand buried in his denim jacket pocket and another running through his hair.

Peter sighed in relief at a silhouette forming in the shadows between the trees, calling out for his nephew "Derek?"

Peter frowned in confusion as Derek rushed forward, looking flustered and afraid as he carefully held the blonde stranger in his arms.

"We need to take her home, somethings wrong with her!" Derek worriedly told his uncle, moving as quick as he could with Maeve in his arms.

Peter jogged forward, coming to a sudden holt as he stared at the features past the blonde flowing hair "Put her down, Derek!"

"What? No!" Derek stared at Peter in disbelief, holding Maeve tighter as he tried to barge past the older wolf "Hunters aren't far away and they'll kill us!"

"Not if she kills us first, Derek! She's an Argent," Peter growled at his nephew protectively, motioning to Maeve angrily "Maeve Argent."

The Argent family relocated to Beacon Hills only a few months ago but the family reputation is well known, years of history filling all werewolves with fear over the family.

"Maeve," Derek mumbled to himself, putting a name to the frightened face as he stared down at her with a sigh "Maeve is like us, Peter, they'll kill her too! I can't let them kill her!"

"Aren't you listening? She's an Argent!" Peter shouted, listening to closely to his surroundings as he grabbed onto Derek's arm, trying to get him to let go of Maeve "She'll kill you before they get the chance, I'm not letting you die on my watch, Derek!"

"I don't care! She looked terrified, Peter. When they shouted her name, she looked so afraid," Derek protested, gazing down at Maeve sadly, "I have to help her. I need to help her."

"Come on," Peter rolled his eyes in annoyance, tugging on Derek's arm to pull them back through the preserve "Why are you so hellbent on helping her?"

Derek didn't know whether it was the full moon or wanting to help Maeve, but he felt like he didn't have a choice, he had to help her.

"I don't know, it feels like i have to protect her." Derek held Maeve closer to his chest as he and Peter jogged through the woods, looking cautiously around at their surroundings.

"At least she made you get your act together, it wouldn't surprise me if the hunters killed you after the way you acted tonight." Peter commented, hinting at Derek's new found control, rolling his eyes yet again as Derek ignored him.

Maeve's lips parted as she took a shaky breath, Derek looked down protectively, expecting to find her awake "Maeve?"

"Oh, don't look at her like that. I know those eyes," Peter smacked Derek's shoulder, speaking louder as Derek's gaze remained on Maeve "Stop it."