.five

Maeve let out a gasp as she woke suddenly, the security alarm blasting through the loft. Derek's arm tightened around her as he sat up, quickly letting go of Maeve as he jumped out of bed, pulling on a t-shirt as he dashed downstairs.

Maeve in a much slower attempt of her husbands actions left their room, meeting Isaac and Dean in the hallway, Dean carried Luna in his arms, his niece fast asleep on his shoulder.

"What's going on?" Dean yawned.

"No idea," Maeve replied as they walked downstairs.

Finding Derek next door, they headed to the loft where the rest of the Hales were staying. The wall of windows dripped with paint, a large symbol displayed on it.

"What does it mean?" Cora asked.

Derek, Talia and Maeve shared a knowing look. They'd seen that symbol many times over the years, and it never meant anything good.

"It means they're coming... Tonight."

Maeve was leaving to visit her mom when the door opened, Derek's voice ringing out, "Go back to school."

Putting down her hairbrush, Maeve made her way downstairs, not surprised to find the three betas in the living room instead of being at school.

"Well, actually, we can't. Boyd, Dean and I are incredibly and unbelievably sick," Isaac argued, the trio entering the loft.

"With what, brain damage?" Derek joked, sharing an unamused look with his wife.

"Well, I have a migraine, Dean's depressed and, uh, Boyd here has explosive diarrhoea," Isaac lied.

Derek raised his brows, his brother shrugging, "Well I am."

Maeve sighed, their excuses were getting more and more ridiculous.

Boyd cringed at his pretend illness before speaking up, "We're here to protect you both."

"You're here to protect me? Well, I'm in trouble then," Derek commented.

Isaac sat down on Derek's desk, flicking through an open book, "Actually, Boyd here came up with a plan."

"Yeah, I thought about the time Gerard had me and Erica locked up, tied up with electrical wires pushing current through us. I was wondering how we could do something like that..." Boyd crouched down, unzipping a gym bag.

Boyd lifted the wires for them to see, "But on a bigger scale."

Boyd and Dean unlocked the water taps going into the loft, "In a pool of electrified water, it can take up to 50 milliamps to kill a normal human, less than the power it takes to turn on a light bulb."

"That's comforting," Derek shared an uneasy look with Maeve and Isaac, sat up on the steps away from the water.

"If we disable the circuit interrupter in the building's electrical room, the current will keep coming, and anyone who steps foot in here, they'll get a pretty shocking surprise," Boyd smirked.

Isaac pushed off one of the beams, sharing Boyds amused look, "Especially someone who's barefoot."

Derek looked away from the water, turning to Maeve sternly, "You and Lu can't be here tonight."

"Yeah, I don't feel like getting electrocuted," Maeve chuckled, kissing his cheek before leaving the loft, "bye!"

_