eight

Maeve stumbled away from the balcony in floods of tears, falling back against Derek, stood frozen in shock, grabbing his hand as they sprinted back into the building. Guests watched the couple in confusion as they ran through the ballroom, rushing to meet Archie at the double doors, a bloody handprint smearing against the glass.

Maeve's hand traced her lips as she stared forward in horror, following the trail of blood staining the gravel to the body laying down by the steps.

"Jamie!" Maeve cried out at the sight of Jamie laying on the ground, Derek let go of her hand to help Archie with Jamie.

"Jamie!" Derek exclaimed, trying to keep his best friend awake as he knelt down beside him, shakily moving away his now bloody suit jacket.

Maeve went to run forward, her heels slipping on the gravel as a hand pulled her back, twisting her around, "Times ticking, Maeve."

As realisation hit, a glare landed on Maeve's face like no other, murderously turning to her aunt, Kate smirking deviously "Kill the beta, before i have to hurt another one of your loved ones, the vets son, maybe? He seems valuable."

Tearing her gaze away from Jamie, Maeve curled her hand into a fist, smacking it against Kate's cheek. Kate's hand flew to her cheek, letting out a hiss of pain.

Kate chuckled as she stumbled back, weakly looking back to her niece, "I guess i deserved that."

"You deserve to rot in hell with the rest of this messed up family," Maeve spat, smirking at the cut on Kate's cheek from her ring, turning to walk away.

"I don't th-" Kate grabbed onto Maeve's arm, digging into the skin as she pulled her back.

"Don't touch me-" Maeve shouted, pulling her arm away, shoving Kate back, blinded by anger.

Maeve tried her best to stay calm, to keep who she was completely hidden, but with her best friend practically dying in front of her, Maeve was surprised she hadn't exposed herself already.

Archie rushed over at the shouting, wrapping his arm over Maeve's shoulder, glaring at the hunter, "Hey, get your hands off of her!"

"Come on," Archie muttered softly, guiding Maeve over to Jamie, letting her go as she ran to her friend.

Kate glared at the friends inn curiosity, turning on her heels to make her way further into the main gardens, staying out of sight.

"Jamie?" Maeve burst back into tears instantly, the only way for panic to leave her body whilst she thrived in anger, holding onto his hand as he glanced up at her "Hey, buddy, you're going to be okay."

"I can't- i can't feel anything," Jamie whispered, his voice croaky, fearfully staring at his friends.

As the only one of the friends who knew nothing of the supernatural, Jamie thought a complete nutcase had just singled him out, not suspecting another reason, but really, he wasn't too far off.

"That's the shock," Archie informed him, jumping up to go and find help, "You're gonna be fine, Jamie!"

"Help!" Maeve cried, looking around for anyone, only to be met with the sounds of laughter and music from inside.

Jamie smirked as his eyes landed on Derek, Derek's hand on his arm, black veins running up his own, "You crying on me, Hale?"

Derek shook his head, blinking back his tears as he shouted back to the building Archie ran into, turning to take more of Jamie's pain, "Somebody help!"

"Please!" Maeve's voice grew weak, suddenly noticing the blood flowing around them, "Help!"

Inside of the party, Noah Stilinski had finally wrangled his son away from the food, keeping a close eye on the hyper child as he finished up his conversation with the mayor, turning around to find someone he never expected to see again.