prologue

Prologue | Glowing eyes 

"Maeve!"

Maeve ignored the calls after her as she ran, leaving a trail of muddy footprints behind her as her combat boots trudged up the stairs. Maeve ran into her bedroom nervously, dropping the crossbow the furthest away from her as possible, her blonde hair falling at the sides of her face as she leant on the bookshelf, panic flooding her veins at the heavy footsteps behind her.

Tonight had been her first official hunt with her family, with it being a full moon, another family joined for added forces. Maeve had always been against hunting, she had also feared it for her whole life. Tonight her grandfather put her on the spot, telling her it was time for her first kill. The time quickly came around and Maeve froze, letting the wolf run free, embarrassing her family in front of their friends.

Kate Argent stormed into her nieces bedroom, slamming the door behind her as she glared down at Maeve, shaking her head in disappointment. Maeve backed away, instinctively flinching as Kate stepped towards her, trying to run back as Kate grabbed onto her arm.

"Kate, stop!" Maeve exclaimed, struggling as Kate dragged her across the room, slamming her back against a bare wall.

Maeve never knew what she had done to make her aunt and grandfather hate her so much, but since the moment she was born she was the target solely for their negativity and abuse. Chris had been her guardian angel, but there was only so much he could do to protect her now he had a family of his own.

Maeve's mother had always protected her, taking the abuse to stop it from reaching her daughter. But the moment the family stepped back into Beacon Hills, Elizabeth Argent wasn't seen again, even when Maeve needed her most.

"Do you have any idea what you've just done?" Kate shouted, staring at a fearful Maeve in disbelief "You embarrassed this whole family. You're an Argent, we hunt, you're not an exception, Maeve!"

Maeve looked down to the carpet weakly, "I'm sorry, okay!"

Kate scoffed, squeezing Maeve's arm tighter, bruises already forming on her soft, but already bruised, skin "Sorry? You should be begging me for another chance. You ruined the hunt tonight, Maeve, you made us look like an embarrassment."

"When are you going to grow up? You're seventeen years old!" Kate rolled her eyes at the tears in Maeve's eyes, "You're crying? Welcome to the real world, Maeve. You're a hunter, for gods sake, you'd better get used to pain."

Maeve felt a blow to her chest, loosing her breath as she leant forward with a gasp, pain shooting into her thigh. Maeve's head slammed back against the wall as Kate pulled the blade back from her nieces leg, Maeve's bruised hand quickly pressing down against the wound.

Maeve clenched her teeth to stop herself from screaming, Kate took a breath before turning on her boots "Looks like you've got a head start."

"