Chapter 26

Time skip to the 2019 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Y/N POV

It has been nearly a year since I have been doing this long distance relationship with Sana. If I am honest, I don't like it, it's been a difficult year for myself in every single way. Completely off my pace and no where near challenging the title and only winning one race throughout the whole season. I think my relationship struggles has caused my pace to drop dramatically. Even though these two years in Ferrari has made me much happier compared to when I was at Mercedes, I still think I am not able to extract my maximum potential in the SF90-H. 

Before the final race of the season, Mattia Binotto decided to set up a meeting with me and Charles to discuss Ferrari's plans for the upcoming season. Since Mercedes has already won both of the championship long time ago, we are all focused on the next season. However, while Mattia Binotto has a plan for next season, I have one myself too.

Mattia Binotto: Right Charless and Y/N, we didn't do well this season but let's try again next season. What has happened happened so we will focus on next season. What do you think we need to improve.

Charles Leclerc: I think the car was quick but we lacked aerodynamics so we need to improve on that area. Also pit crew and strategists need a bit of work too.

Mattia Binotto: Right I'll think about that, I agree the pit crew and strategists need some improvement. What feedback have you got Y/N?

Y/N: This will be my last race in F1 (looks down). 

Charles Leclerc: WHAT (surprised)?

Mattia Binotto: Are you sure you want to retire?

Y/N: Yes, I've thought about it and I want to live a normal life with no fans and paparazzis going after me. I want to retire from Formula 1 so I don't have to be in the middle of the attention around the world.

Mattia Binotto: Well we need to find a new driver next season. Y/N when will you announce your retirement?

Y/N: I will find the correct time to announce it.

Mattia Binotto: Ok good, I'll leave you both to prepare for the race.

Once I head towards the grid, I have decided to completely forget the fact that this will be my final race of my F1 career. I settled down into the car with a very calm manner not letting the pressure get onto me. It's a very straightforward race, a one stop from the softs to the hards on lap 20. My final 55 laps of Formula 1 racing, I should just enjoy this and not be too optimistic because if I mess this up I probably will not get another chance of driving an F1 car again.

Y/N: Alright boys, one last shot let's f***ing do this.

Ricardo Adami: Enjoy this one Y/N.

The race was pretty boring for the fans as nothing happened at the front of the field apart from Valtteri Bottas's overtaking show coming from 20th on the grid to finishing 4th. However, for me it was pretty action packed. I decided to enjoy my final 55 laps of racing in F1 very chilled and had a very quiet race running in 5th most of the race. Having some battles with my good friend Alex Albon who finished 6th. After 55 laps of racing, I rounded off turn 21 for the final time and saw the chequered flag. Many emotions are going through me right now. I have started racing since I was a little kid, made it to Formula 1 and won 3 championships during the process. Fast forward few years, I have just completed my final Formula 1 race. This moment, I think I might cry. A lot of hard work to get into Formula 1, I have came and done what I wanted since I was a kid and I can leave without any regrets. Sure, I will miss my friends, mechanics and all the people that I have been working with in my years in F1. But I think it's time I move on to something a bit different, and a lifestyle that I have always wanted.