Chapter Nineteen | Stroopwafels...

~C~

I'd spent most of the last weekend of summer holiday moving back into my apartment in London. Sometimes I worked in the bakery, savouring the last few days there. I was going to miss them, but I was also excited to go back to college.

Now I was back in London, watching my mother drive back home after practically forcing her to leave. Ever since our conversation in the kitchen she'd been acting strange. She tried desperately to be around more, wanting to know everything that was going on in my life. It was sweet, but tiring. And strange.

"There he is, there's my favourite white boy!" I heard my roommate, Valerie, exclaim. She burst through the door to the living room with a grin.

I rolled my eyes. "Hello to you too, Val." I couldn't help but smile back as she came over to hug me. I'd missed her.

"You unpack, I'll make us some tea with stroopwafels. I have so many amazing stories to tell you." She grinned, both of her dimples showing. Her skin was tanned, probably from helping out on her family's farm. She was still as energetic as when she left.

"Make sure to-"

"-To place your stroopwafel on the mug so the caramel will melt, yes I know, I'm the one who showed you that trick." She winked, then turned to walk to the kitchen.

I shook my head with a smile and grabbed the last of my bags and hauled them to my room. It was good to be back.

**

From: Ethan
Sent at: 04:24PM
There will be a car to pick you up at seven

I raised my eyebrow at the text. He'd been eager to see me again, always texting or calling me. It was endearing, but I knew he only did it because he was bored and he loved bugging me. He was still forced to take it easy, which meant his schedule had once again been cleared from princely duties.

To: Ethan
Sent at: 04:30PM
And what if I already have plans?

He replied within seconds, making me chuckle. I could imagine him sitting in the living room of Dawnton Keep, pouting and staring at his phone. Most likely annoyed because Dylan once again had to force him to stay inside.

From: Ethan
Sent at: 04:30PM
It's the Sunday before term starts. I know for a fact that you do not have anything planned except rearranging your notebooks and making sure you have everything prepared for the first day of classes. You're a closeted nerd, I like that about you.

To: Ethan
Sent at: 04:30PM
I am not

From: Ethan
Sent at: 04:31PM
You are, babe. But you're a cute nerd.

From: Ethan
Sent at: 04:31PM
Wear something comfy. See you tonight ;)

"I know that look."

I locked my phone and looked up. Valerie was holding two boxes of steaming Chinese take-out.

"What look?" I knew what she was going to say.

She rolled her eyes. "What did the boyfriend have to say?" she handed me one of the boxes, along with some chopsticks and sat down beside me, her legs folded beneath her.

"He's picking me up at seven," I said, turning on the tv.

"Oeh, date night. Cute." She grinned. "Put on an episode of The Big Bang, please."

I did as asked and went to Netflix to put on the show.

"Did he tell you what he has planned?"

I shook my head. "Nope, but I think it'll be just us staying in. And Dylan."