Chapter Six | Studies Show That I Didn't Ask For Your Opinion

~E~

My breath hitched in my chest. I couldn't do this. Every inch of my body was protesting against what I was about to do. My hands shook, my legs trembled. Adrenaline coursed through my veins. This was not something I could do.

"Don't be a wuss." Alexandra commented from her place on my couch where she was observing me struggle.

"Shut up." I growled. My body hurt so bad that I didn't think I could stand having to do this any longer.

"You're doing great, your majesty." my doctor, Charles Weaver, complemented. "Now try actually letting your leg take your body weight, instead of using your bodyguard as a crutch."

Alexandra let out a loud laugh and I felt Dylan chuckle from where I was holding onto his arms tightly.

I drew a big breath, feeling how my ribs ached as my lungs filled with air. Though they had fully healed, they were still sore. I'd gotten a cast on my leg so I could walk on it a few hours ago but having to actually support my body on it still hurt. Especially since my ribs were acting up.

Lifting my right hand from Dylan's arm, I slowly placed my casted leg on the ground. I breathed in and then completely let go of him. I wobbled a bit because of the height difference in my feet and Dylan held out his hands to catch me if necessary. I stood still, afraid of moving. It felt like my ribs were tugging, it felt strange standing up on my own.

"Very good." Dr Weaver said. "How does it feel?"

"My ribs do not agree with this." I commented.

The doctor laughed. "That's to be expected. They healed while you were either in a wheelchair or in bed. Standing up on your own stretches the chest and expands the lungs. Now when you breathe in, your ribs suffer more pressure because the lungs are letting in more air." He explained. "Give it a few more weeks."

"When will the cast come off?" Dylan asked, eying the doctor but still hovering around me. I was struggling to stay upright and pay attention at the same time.

"If his leg continues to heal as it does now then I would say two or three weeks." Dr Weaver answered. "With physical therapy, he should practice walking small distances. But he still has to be careful. The bone is not healed yet and remains fragile. Walk small distances at a time. Try using crutches if you can, and otherwise go back to the wheelchair to rest your ribs. Give your body time to heal."

I nodded. "Thank you, Doctor."

"I'll see you next week." Doctor Weaver packed up his stuff and then he left.

I let out a shaky breath and tried taking a step back. Dylan placed his hands on my back and arm to steady me as he helped me sit back down on the bed.

"You okay?" He asked, brown eyes laced with worry as I tried to catch my breath. I nodded and waved him off.

"Ethan," Alexandra spoke up, rising from the couch. "You're a baby."

I rolled my eyes. "Studies show that I didn't ask for your opinion." I shot back.

She shrugged and left the room.

"Remind me why she was here in the first place?" I asked Dylan who rolled the wheelchair to the side of my bed and balanced the crutches against it.

"She's your sister and she cares for you." he answered, chuckling.

"More like, she's bored and she enjoys watching me suffer." I muttered, shifting so I was resting my back against the pillows.

"You're a drama queen." Dylan laughed, sitting down on the edge of my bed.