Chapter Twenty-Six | A Night To Remember

~E~

Music filled the room as we danced through the ballroom. Kathlyn's hand felt too small in mine compared to whose hand I was used to. My hand on her waist felt wrong. Dancing with her in front of my family felt wrong.

Especially when I knew the person I really wished she was, was watching me.

I'd been eying him the entire evening. I felt guilty for asking him to come and then leave him alone. I wanted to make sure he was okay.

He'd been talking to Paisley and Cara all evening and I was glad they kept him company. I just wished I was standing beside him.

"We can go over there if you want," Kathlyn spoke up, a soft smile on her lips. "You've been watching him all evening."

I quickly averted my gaze, blushing. "Sorry. I must be a rubbish date." I apologised.

She laughed. "You're fine, Ethan. Who is he?" she turned her head to look at him.

My eyes followed hers to where Corey was now talking with Lukas.

"He's-" I paused. I didn't know what to say. Saying he was just a friend felt wrong but I couldn't say he was my boyfriend. "He's someone special." I settled for saying.

"Ah," Kathlyn nodded, a knowing smile taking over. "I think I know. Don't worry, I won't tell."

"Thank you." I breathed. I was slightly surprised she figured it out but I trusted her not to tell anyone.

We continued dancing for a few more songs before I gave in to Kathlyn's insistence to go over to Corey.

She held my hand in hers as we walked through the ballroom.

Several people that I recognised from the ministry nodded at me, some trying to start up a conversation but Kathlyn intercepted them easily.

"Hi, you must be Corey." Kathlyn said when we reached him and Lukas. "I'm Kathlyn Sheridan."

Corey eyed me carefully before he nodded. "Nice to meet you." He smiled. "Your majesty," he greeted me with a smile that didn't quite reach his eyes.

I resisted the urge to move closer to him, to find out what he was feeling. "She knows." I said instead.

"You told her?" Lukas said in surprise. "I mean, good for you but like, aren't you supposed to be dating her?"

"Actually, I figured it out on my own. He's not very subtle with the way he was staring at you all evening." Kathlyn said making Corey blush and look away.

"Hey!" I pouted.

They laughed and Lukas rolled his eyes.

"That does not surprise me." he commented. "Anyway, why don't we let the two lover boys catch up while you join me for a dance?" he asked Kathlyn and I sent him a grateful glance.

I watched them step into the mass of people already on the dancefloor, well aware of Corey watching me.

"She seems nice," he said softly, coming to stand beside me.

Our arms brushed, our fingertips touching. I had to resist the urge to lace our fingers together.

"Makes it hard for me to dislike her," he continued. This time his eyes were on Lukas and my fake girlfriend.

"I'm sorry I asked you to come. You shouldn't have to watch this." I eyed him. I felt bad for inviting him and making him watch me and Kathlyn.

He laughed but it sounded fake. "I'll just have to get used to it, I guess. I mean, at least I got a piece of you most people will never get."