Chapter Fifty- Nine: A New Flame

Three weeks had passed since the trial against Nicholas Lytton, and I was finally making a belated return to my studies. Winter break had ended half a month prior, but I was unable to leave my estate until I was fully healed. Luckily, thanks to Elaine's light magic and Connor's expertise, my healing was quick and I was able to start classes at the academy sooner than expected.

I leaned out of my carriage window and watched as a young phoenix circled above, its bright orange and yellow plumage reflecting the sun. The baby phoenix was now the size of a Hawk and was able to fly freely after a few weeks of practice. While I was at the estate, the phoenix stayed close enough to visit me once every few days, and it was now accompanying me to the capital. I sent a thankful smile to the phoenix, wondering if it knew the depth of my gratitude. Not only had the magical beast saved my life, but it had also found my friends when I was barely conscious in the forest. Even after I had returned home safely, the phoenix kept close to me, and I found comfort in the fact that my only support while in captivity was still with me.

For the first time, my return to school was quiet. Normally at my arrival, the carriage was surrounded by Caiden's admirers, and more recently a few of my own. However, now that school was already in session, the front gates were deserted.

Even though there was no visible threat, Lady Atlee stood close to me, gripping the hilt of her sword as she scanned the area. I could easily use my heat mana to identify any bodies around us, but I decided that it was probably more assuring for Lady Atlee to do her routine checks, even if they were a bit much. After I recovered enough to accept visitors, the female knight requested that she be stripped of her knighthood after failing to protect me. Even after I reminded her that she was acting under my orders and refused to accept her request, it was evident in her actions that she still blamed herself.

After moving back into the dorm and organizing my things, I headed to my magical combat class. Though I was technically given the day off, I was eager to get on the training grounds again and practice my magic and sword abilities. I was still unsure of the extent of the fire mana given to me by the phoenix, and magical combat class would be the perfect place to test it out.

I had thought about keeping my new abilities a secret, but Alexander, the man who I would consider most dangerous at the moment, already knew of my increase in fire mana after our fight, so there was no real reason to hide it. Plus, rumors of my kidnapping had already made their way through high society and I was tired of feeling like a glass doll under the weight of their pitying glances. Hopefully, after witnessing my new badass fire skills, they would no longer look at me like I was an injured child.

"Callista!" Elaine greeted before tackling me into a hug. I had been the first dressed and ready for our combat class and had been stretching my back before I was jumped from behind.

"Gosh Elaine, didn't you just finish healing me?" I laughed, ruffling my friend's pink hair after she climbed off of me.

"Oh my gosh, are you okay?!" She worried, gripping my shoulders as she checked my body for damage.

"I'm just joking, don't worry I'm fine." I said, a grin forming on my lips. Before we could start catching up, someone's voice echoed from the entrance.

"MY DEAR CALLISTA, I HA- AHGH"

I turned my head to see Prince Louis holding the back of his head, his niece and nephew Adele and Ambrose standing behind him with their fists' raised, the same stoic expression dawning both of the twins' faces.

"Hello Prince Louis," I chuckled, watching as the boy tromped over with his head down after a scolding from his younger relatives.

"We apologize for our Uncle's behavior." Adele said, earning a glare from her princely uncle. Her once long light blue hair was now styled into a pixie cut that accentuated her sharp features.