Chapter Thirty-Five: How They See Her

I spent another two hours in the dressing room chair as the maids rushed to get me ready. Not only did they have to prepare me for a ball, but they also had to undo all of the work they had done before. Even so, the three girls were dancing around me excitedly, gushing about how lucky they were to dress me up twice in one day. 

"Lady Callista, you look wonderful. This may be our best work yet," Caroline, the youngest maid exclaimed, clapping her hands excitedly. 

"Yes, it seems that you have grown up very well my lady." Evelyn commented, placing a hand on Caroline's shoulder so that she would calm down. Though she was still in her early twenties, Evelyn was probably the most level headed maid in our household, which is why she was assigned to me. For a while I felt guilty that she had to attend to a young girl when she could have easily been the house keeper's assistant. However, Evelyn always responded that there was never a dull moment when I was under her care, so she was happy to serve me. 

"Thank you, but aren't you exaggerating?" I asked, shying away from the compliments. 

"No, you know I do not exaggerate Lady Callista. Your mother was sure to make you shine at today's ball. She personally picked out the dress, hairstyle, and jewelry." Evelyn explained, handing me a mirror. 

I looked at the reflection and for a second time today, I was shocked. 

"You guys... you really are magicians." I mumbled. 

My hair was braided into a loose updo with golden beads and jewels. A light red tint was painted over my lips with a natural gold shimmer behind my ruby eyes. I stood up, examining my golden ball gown that matched the color of our families crest. Sparkles, beads, and jewels were laced into the chiffon fabric, the skirt's style falling somewhere between that of an a-line and a ball gown. The bodice was made of satin and embroidered with golden beads, along with a sheer halter neckline and butterfly sleeves that reached just above my elbows. It was a perfect dress that was both elegant and functional, the light chiffon fabric making it easy to walk in. My mother must have put a lot of effort into this dress. 

After thanking my maids, I was escorted to the back door of the amphitheater by Lady Atlee. 

"Are you sure we can't just walk to the ball? I want to see the festival," I complained, giving Lady Atlee my best puppy eyes. 

"No," She replied unfazed. 

"Your mother already gave me instructions to escort you from the back of the amphitheater. There, a carriage will be waiting to take you to the Academy's entrance."

I pouted my lips, but didn't argue. Both my mother and Lady Atlee were right, not only would my gown make it hard to walk through the crowd, but it would also draw too much attention. Plus, there was no way I could make it through the festival's booths and performances without getting distracted. 

My family was waiting for me in the carriage, and to my surprise Elaine was sitting next to my brother. 

"What are you doing here?" I asked happily, giving Elaine a side hug after sitting beside her. 

"Caden invited me to come with him, I ran into a little trouble when I tried to go there myself." Elaine admitted, giving my brother a thankful smile. 

"What happened?" I asked, my voice urgent. Had someone picked on her, but she did so well at the performance... who the hell was going to lose their head tonight-

"I know what you're thinking Callista, but it's not that." Caden chuckled, sitting on the other side of Elaine. 

"When Elaine left the amphitheater with her family she was swarmed by admirers, so I offered to escort her to the ball to keep her safe." Caden explained, smiling at Elaine as she looked down with flushed cheeks. Elaine had never liked attention, so it must have been stressful for her.