Chapter Fifty- Six: You Found Me

A/N: I am going to do my best to update. I am unsure of when I can or how often it will be, but I will do my best. Do not worry, I am NOT dropping this story. That's all I have to say; enjoy :). 

I broke into a sprint the second I landed, the baby Phoenix flying beside me. Though my decision to blast my way out of the fortress may have seemed reckless, it was actually the most strategic and practical plan I could think of. If I had escaped the normal way by following the passage that lead out of the dungeon, I would have had to fight and navigate my way through at least fifty guards only to find myself in the basement of a giant fortress. So, I took the more flashy route and decided to blow a hole through the ceiling. Even though my discovery would be obvious, the dungeon I had been held in was only a few stories below a deserted ware-house located just outside of the estate, so there were lees guards and less obstacles. 

There was no time to appreciate the moonlit sky as I cut through the fresh midnight air. Not only had I sensed at shit ton of guards being sent after me with my heat mana, but I was also unsure of how long my adrenaline would last. Even with the mana the phoenix had given me, my thigh was still bleeding out from the deep stab wound and my body was weak due to the harmful experiments and lack of food. In this state, I could collapse at any second. 

With that thought in mind, I channeled life mana into my legs and ran at an even faster pace, one that probably couldn't be achieved by normal humans. Somehow, even with the the wound, my injured leg was able to support me as I tore through the forest, followed closely by the baby Phoenix. I slowed down for a moment to use my heat mana, gaining reassurance from the considerable amount of distance I had put between myself and the fortress of the guards. However, the relief was short lived when a cloaked figure appeared in front of me. 

My eyes widened in shock as Alexander's outstreched hand shot towards my neck, his fingers wrapping around my throat before I could turn to escape. How had he caught up to me, why couldn't I sense him with my heat mana?

Alexander's hand tightened around my neck, and I quickly realized why I couldn't sense him with my mana. It was because Alexander's hand was cold; as cold as the hand I had held when my mother had been taken away in my past life. The hand I had held after she died. 

"I should have killed you the second you saw me." He spat, his voice hoarse with anger. As his free hand went to his sword made out of Cynth ore, I channeled life mana into my hands and wrenched myself from his grip, shooting backwards. 

"Go," I told the Phoenix who fluttered beside me worriedly. Even if it was a magical beast, it was still a newborn; it would be too dangerous to let it fight with a man like Alexander. The Phoenix obeyed my words and soared into the nigh sky; hopefully towards safety. 

"Why are you doing this?" I spat, stalling as I tried to figure out my next move. If I was lucky, this guy may be the type of villain who enjoys long monologues. Alexander was arguably the most talented magician and swordsman in our country, making my chances of defeating him slim. I had to find a way to escape. 

The general only grinned in response before shooting towards me, brandishing a pitch back sword. I stretched out my hands and blasted him with a cylinder of fire, the strength of the flames sending me flying. However, before he was hit, pillars of ice broke through the flames and shot towards me. Just before I was pierced, I managed to channel life mana into my hand to negate his attack, making it so that the ice fell to a puddle of water at my feet.

"Shit," I grit out, diving to the side as Alexander appeared behind where the ice had been. His sword barely missed my shoulder as I rolled onto the ground, hastily channeling life mana into my legs and jumping back before he could cut off one of my arms.