Chapter Twenty: A Caring Prince

"Callista, come look at this!" Prince Louis called for the six-hundredth time in the last four hours. The two of us had left the Academy to visit the Sarchian Embassy in the capital, but instead of taking a carriage, Prince Louis insisted on going by foot. He used the excuse that he wanted to go in under cover, and arriving in the carriage would be a dead give away of who he was. Even though he had a solid argument, it was obvious that the real reason he refused a carriage was because he wanted to explore the city. At first I didn't mind, enjoying the ability to roam freely around the city, but after many hours had passed I was worried we wouldn't be able to tour the embassy before it was closed to visitors.

The sun had started to set along with my patience and I glared at Prince Louis as he leaned over the side of a bridge that overlooked the capital's canal.

"Can we ride one?" Prince Louis asked, pointing at a decorated wooden boat that carried a young couple.

"We really don't have time Prince Louis," I sighed, looking at Serge for help. However, instead of seeing the face of a dedicated and disciplined soldier, I saw two beady eyes staring at the boat in awe. What was so exciting about those damn tiny boats?

"Fine," I huffed.

"But after this we head straight to the embassy!"

Prince Louis and I sat side by side on the front seats of the boat while Serge sat in the back rowing happily. Though Serge had only meant to ask to row the boat in place of the worker, it seemed more like a threat when the small man gave him the oars with shaking hands. We didn't have a chance to pay the man before he scampered away, leaving an excited Serge with both oars, unaware of the fact that he had just stolen a boat.

"You wanted to do this because of Serge, right?" I asked Prince Louis as we continued down the river, glancing back at Serge with a grin. The prince nodded.

"He's always loved anything to do with boats and ships. Before he was knighted, Serge was the son of a fisherman and spent his life on the water. Sometimes I wonder if he wished he could have stayed." Prince Louis said, and though he smiled, the downcast look in his eyes hinted at guilt.

"You are really thoughtful when it comes to your people, they are lucky to have you as their prince." I complimented, thinking back to the time on the ship. I had heard from Lily that Prince Louis was a huge help after he woke up. He took the time to not only help the Sarchian crew members, but also chat with them and listen to their stories.

"Thank you, but I still have a long way to go." Prince Louis said, his tone more subdued than usual. Though the foreign prince was a bit emphatic, he was someone who was loved by his people. In the past, the royal family of Sarchia had been very detached from their people and rarely left the palace. However, in the recent years after the plague scare, I had heard of stories of Prince Louis's traveling through Sarchia, meeting with the people and listening to their concerns.

"You don't give yourself enough credit, I have heard of your kindness to your people, you have done a lot for them."

"I have only been able to do little other than listen to their concerns. I don't have enough power to meet their needs." Prince Louis said, staring out at the streets filled with people as we passed by them in the boat.

"Prince Louis, you have at least helped one person, right?" I asked.

"Well, yes I believe I have." Prince Louis answered, looking a bit confused.

"Do you think that they would consider the change you made in their life to be little or weak?"

"I don't think so."