Chapter Seventeen: Elaine?

Once our professor arrived, the students lined up so she could do a quick assessment of our magical aptitude. As the students each stepped up to perform, I started to feel more and more hopeless. These girls were much better than me, how had Callista dealt with this before? Did she use fear to control the gossip?

"I'm sorry I'm late!" A familiar voice cried, pulling me from my thoughts. At the door stood Elaine, followed by the one and only Charles Wren. I had forgotten about the part in the game where Charles met a lost and confused Elaine looking for her class. He, being the kind and gentle person that he was, walked Elaine to her class so that she wouldn't get lost again. During their short time together, Charles was surprised by Elaine's positivity and confidence even though she was a commoner. Charles quickly grew impressed by her attitude, and decided to spend more time with the girl, eventually gaining the confidence to step out of the shadow of his older brother.

"I will permit it since it is the first day," The professor said, probably holding back due to the fact that Charles Wren had personally escorted the girl to class. Elaine thanked her, and rushed to the back of the line of students who were to be assessed.

Charles lingered in the door way, and it took a minute before I noticed he was staring at me. Once we made eye contact, he gave a polite smile and left the class room.

Finally, the time had come for my assessment, and as I predicted, it went terribly. While most students had been able to create shapes and designs with their elements, I was barely able to make a fire ball the size of my fist. Both the professor and students looked confused and disappointed, while Lady Valerie grinned in triumph.

Elaine was the last to go, and everyone watched her eagerly. The girls around me had been whispering about her, assuming that she would do poorly. It had not yet been revealed that Elaine was a light mage, and I couldn't help but snicker; these girls would be in for a surprise.

Elaine closed her eyes, and held out here hands, palms facing up. Then, to everyone's shock (except me), a ball of light formed and floated to the ceiling. Once it hovered for a few seconds, the ball of light exploded into thousands of tiny specs, covering the ceiling like stars, the light changing colors so that it looked like the Milky Way. It was breath taking.

After she finished, the professor was silent, and could only nod in approval. I guess it was hard for stuck up nobles to compliment a commoner, even if she was extremely talented. Class ended shortly after, and I quickly gathered my things, hoping to leave the room as soon as possible. It was lunch time and I was starving.

"Are you feeling unwell Lady Callista, it seemed that you were struggling to produce a small amount of fire." Lady Valerie sneered, blocking the door way.

"No, I am feeling quite fine," I replied, hoping that she would just drop the subject.

Yep, I sucked, good for you, now move so I can eat my lunch.

"Oh no, I am so sorry for insulting you, that was not my intention-"

I not insulted, I'm hungry

"I just thought that it couldn't be possible that the crown prince's fiancé would struggle with basic magic. As a friend, I am worried that he will be upset to hear that his fiancé could be damaging his reputation. It would be concerning if his fiancé was not fit to be the future queen." She continued.

The Prince knows I suck, he teases me about it all the time, plus I won't be the future Queen. So, please just shut-

"That's not true!" Elaine shouted, placing herself in front of me as if she were trying to protect me.