Chapter Twenty-Five: Heart of a Lioness

The day of the festival was soon approaching, along with the audition to perform in the public competition. Only five students were chosen to compete from each grade for both the performing arts show and the magical combat competition. While the male students participated in a preliminary tournament, the female students performed in front of a panel of judges. Luckily the audition was private, so the students' prepared performances would not be leaked prior to the show.

For the magical arts show, each student had to create a spectacle which showed off their talent for three to five minutes. Students were allowed the assistance of music, the max of three partners (as long as they didn't contribute to the magic aspect of the performance), and the freedom to choose and provide their own costumes and decor. Performing on the Academy's stage at the festival was one of the best ways to garner favor and attention for your family. People came from all over the kingdom, some even traveling from neighboring countries to see the show. This was because the ability to use magic was a rare talent that (with the exception of Elaine) could only be practiced by those with noble blood. The chance to witness magic firsthand was a rare and exciting opportunity.

As the day for the initial auditions approached, the girls were starting to get more catty than usual. Since I was well known for being weak, I didn't have to worry about sabotage from the other students, but Elaine was the opposite. In a single day multiple girls had attempted to harm her, one even going so far as to hire a mercenary. Luckily, Elaine wasn't nearly as weak as she appeared, and I was blessed with the rare opportunity to watch the petite girl judo flip a man twice her size after blinding him with her light magic. 

"I think I knocked him out, I hope he doesn't have serious brain damage," Elaine worried, some how able to harbor concern for the man who had just attacked her.

"He should be fine, the real issue is figuring out what to do with him," I reassured, poking the large man's forehead. His appearance screamed criminal with a large build, bald head, and multiple scars all over his body.

"You're right, it would be bad if we left him here since he would scare the other students once classes end."

"How are you always able to worry about everyone but yourself?" I asked, standing up and patting Elaine's head. The girl was as cute as a bunny, but as strong as a tiger. She was completely unfazed by the fact that she had three attempts on her safety in the last five hours.

"Are you all right Elaine?" My brother asked with shaky voice. He and I had been escorting her to class when the man attacked. I assumed that my brother was trying to act all manly and protective, so he was probably shocked when Elaine took down the large man in seconds without a moments hesitation. To me, it wasn't very surprising that Elaine had such sharp instincts. She had lived alone with her mother after all, even taking the risk to visit the tenements in the middle of the night. It probably didn't occur to Caden that for Elaine, the ability to fight was necessary for her survival.

"C-Caden!" Elaine stuttered, suddenly remembering the existence of my brother. She turned bright red, probably embarrassed of showing her strength in front of him. What she didn't know was that my brother was used to combative girls after growing up with me as a sister. He wasn't someone who would get turned off by a girl who could protect herself, if anything he would see it as a reliable attribute for a future spouse. Caden would be taking over the Dukedom, so whoever he married would be put in danger as the spouse of a powerful political figure. I wouldn't be surprised if Caden grew even more fond of Elaine after this incident.

My mother had also won my father's heart after displaying her elegant yet lethal ability to control water magic. While the two were brought together by an arranged marriage, he quickly fell for her after she gracefully handled a young drunken lord by pinning him to the wall with daggers made of ice. I wasn't sure if his falling in love with my mother after showing her she-devil side was cute or concerning.