Chapter Forty- Nine: The Winter Ball

"What are you planning?" Valerie asked, approaching me before our magical combat class started. Her violet eyes squinted as she stood in front of me with crossed arms, blocking my way out of the changing room. Her reason for confronting me was obvious. Yesterday, it was announced that Elaine and I would attend the Ludovic's winter ball, and Valerie was not happy about it. 

"I'm planning to go to class, now would you please move so we aren't late." I replied with a sarcastic tone. 

"I'm serious Callista, what the hell is going on? Your family hasn't accepted the invitation to our winter ball for over thirty years. Why of all times are you doing this now?" 

"What, are you worried about me?" I scoffed, unsure of what to make of her tone. She wasn't angry at me, if anything she was frustrated and maybe even a little... worried? For the past two months Valerie had been ignoring me as much as possible. She kept her head down when I was around, glancing at me every so often with a weird look on her face. I wasn't sure if she was scheming something, or worried if I was planning to take revenge on her, but honestly, I didn't care. At least, not at the beginning. 

I had assumed that Valerie was taking the magical combat class against her own will when I saw how miserable she looked on the first day. However, after the first week, I started to realize that even though Valerie sucked, she was actually trying really hard. Then, after the first month, she had even started to win some of the one on one combat matches against other students. What shocked me even more was when I noticed her practicing by herself during lunch instead of eating with her posse. Actually, when I thought about it, I had barely seen Valerie hanging around her posse or anyone at all. 

"Yes, I'm worried," Valerie said without even blinking. I stared at the girl incredulously as I struggled to respond. 

"W-wait, what?" I asked in the least smooth way possible. Valerie let out a sigh and rolled her eyes before responding, her familiar behavior giving me a strange form comfort. For a moment I had begun to wonder if possession was possible in this world. 

"I'm not worried about you, I'm worried about what you're up to. My family is not forgiving when people try to cross them, and I don't want to be held responsible for your actions."

"Why would you be held responsible for my actions?"

"Stop asking useless questions and listen to me. Do not go to the Winter Ball if you are planning on doing something reckless or stupid. Honestly, I wish you wouldn't go at all, but it's not like you will listen to me." She huffed, acting like a tired mother.

"You're right, I'm not going to listen to you. I'm not planning on doing anything stupid so you can stop worrying about me. Let's just keeping ignoring each other like usual, okay?" 

While I did think that the King sending me to the ball was stupid, I was worried that saying such words aloud would be considered treason. 

"Fine," Valerie agreed, however she didn't sound fine at all. I pushed past her, genuinely worried about being late for class. There was no way I was going to do an extra fifty burpees during warm up because of Valerie. 

Another month passed and Valerie and I continued to ignore each other. Instead, the two of us took part in our own Cold War, sending suspicious glances and threatening looks whenever we thought the other person was up to something. We kept up this routine up until the last day before winter break when Valerie whispered something as she passed by me. 

"Don't do anything stupid." She hissed and walked away before I could respond. 

My mom sent Elaine and I off with a hug and a kiss, her eyes filled with worry as she asked again if we were sure about attending the ball. While my mother was always one to push me towards attending more social events, she had never wanted me to go to events were I was considered unwelcome. My mother was protective of me, so she would only have me attend events where she knew I would have allies.