Chapter Sixty: Wings of Fire

A blurry memory from a movie I used to watch in my past life resurfaced in my mind as the phoenix flew towards me, it wings igniting into a bright orange flame. The image of an old wizard dude appeared in my mind, his hands raising above his head where his phoenix had appeared before bursting into a vortex of flames.

Though I knew I wouldn't be able to pull off the disappearing act that the old wizard dude had, I still thought it would be cool to set myself on fire, so I mimicked his motion and clapped my hands just as the phoenix landed above my head. Immediately a huge pillar of flames erupted around me, filling my body with a crazy amount of power. I felt the phoenix's mana merge with my own, our powers mixing with each other and multiplying in strength. Red filled my vision, and suddenly I was lifted from the ground, wings of fire forming at my back.

Holy fucking shit balls.

I was flying.

Though I was only fifteen feet in the air, the spectacle was enough to distract everyone on the training ground. Everyone's jaws had dropped as they looked up at me, their minds unable to process what had just happened.

Philip was quick to rebound, a wicked grin spreading across his face as he beamed up at me, his eyes filled with both pride and a new determination. He then pushed his arms out, creating a vortex of water at his feet and shot upwards to face me in the air, blades of water forming around him.

The two of us grinned knowingly and we shot upward. Now that we were in the air, we didn't have to worry about hurting the other students. We could go all out.

Though Philip couldn't maneuver in the air as much as I could, his aim was impeccable, and his blades of water shot towards me like missiles. At first I panicked, unsure of how to control the wings of fire the phoenix had gifted me, but just as the missiles reached my body, on instinct, both wings wrapped around me in a protective shield, vaporizing the blades immediately. Then, before I could even think of how to counter his attack, my body shot through the air as I dove and flew around Philip's vortex, avoiding and blocking the multitude of blades he shot at me.

Once I got ahold of my new ability to fly, I drew out my twin sabers, preparing to attempt arial combat. Though I was able to fly, it was still difficult for me to aim my power due to my lack of training. If I wanted to beat Philip, I would have to get closer.

The moment Philip noticed my sabers, he drew on his own sword, water circling the heavy blade. Flashes of blue and red erupted in the air as I dove in and out of Philip's reach, deflecting his water blades and engaging his sword. The crown prince was a genius when it came to attack power, his ability to engage in both ranged and close combat while airborne requiring an insane amount of control. However, even if I was facing one of the greatest mages in the kingdom, I refused to lose.

The two of us exchanged blow after blow, and I struggled against the exhaustion that was beginning to set in. It took a lot of control to keep from injuring the prince with my fire, while still managing to attack his weak points and catch him off guard. If I wanted to win, I would need to either expend his power, or find a way to get him off of his vortex.

Then, it hit me. A brilliant idea that would both defeat him and exact some much needed revenge for his little stunt earlier at the beginning of class.

As I darted out of Philip's reach, I sheathed my swords and flew to behind him as quick as possible before diving towards him. He used a wall of water to block my attack, but instead of retreating, I used all of the fire power I had left to break through the wall and tackle him with my bare hands. My unexpected maneuver caused Philip to lose focus as the two of us fell from the air, my hands wrapped around his torso. Just before hitting the ground, Philip managed to catch us with a bubble of water that left us drenched as we spilled onto the ground, my body on top of his.