Chapter Thirty- Two: A Fierce Beauty

My butt hurt. I shifted slightly in my seat, causing one of the maids to scold me as she painted a red gloss onto my lips. Two more maids attended to me, one working on my hair, and another comparing different colors of eye shadow. Honestly, no matter how much I looked at them, I couldn't tell the difference between the two red powders, was it the texture? Even in my past life I had never gotten too into make up since it was way too expensive. While I did use it to attend social events in this life, the maids always took care of it as I sat asleep in my chair. 

"My lady, we have finished. Would you like to take a look?" Evelyn asked, offering me a large hand held mirror. My parents had brought along the three maids who attended to me while I lived at the estate, knowing that their presence would calm my anxiety before the performance. Even though it was nice to do things for myself while at school, I still missed the company of the girls who had been by my side for so many years. 

I nodded my head to Evelyn, taking the mirror from her and positioning it in front of my face. In all honesty, I was a little nervous. While I knew that I had been gifted with beauty in this life, I was still like other teenage girls and fretted about my appearance from time to time. With all of the rumors spreading around about my character, I had become more self conscious about every aspect of myself, including my appearance. 

"Wow," I breathed, staring at the girl in the mirror. Her red hair had been pulled behind her head with a braid that turned into a low ponytail as the wavy hair fell down her back like a waterfall. A golden shimmer outlined her ruby eyes while a red powder which faded into gold like a sunset covered her lids. A ruby colored gloss had been painted onto her now parted lips, drawing attention to their bow like shape. The makeup reminded her of warpaint, beautiful but fierce, elegant yet strong. 

"Can you use magic or something, is this even me?" I asked, struggling to process the fact that the girl in the mirror was actually me. Though I was aware of my beauty, I had never imagined that makeup could be so powerful. 

"Only you would ask such a thing," Evelyn chuckled, giving me a soft smile. I continued to examine my face, making weird expressions in the mirror to confirm that it was me. Selfies were not apart of this kingdom's culture, so only I would remember the strange poses that those teenagers made when taking a photo. 

"Lady Callista, it is time to put on your dress," Evelyn said, holding in a laugh. When she turned to look at me, I was in the middle of holding up a peace sign and moving my lips so that they looked like a duck. 

It didn't take long to put on the dress. Unlike the attire in this kingdom, there were no corsets or wide layered skirts. Instead of frills and ribbons, this dress was decorated with golden ornaments and precious stones. A golden neckline adorned with small stones pulled the red cloth into a halter top, while sheer red bell sleeves hung from the middle of my upper arms, exposing my shoulders. A golden band rested on my waist, layers of sheer red cloth cascading from it with two slits on both legs. Under the sheer skirt, I donned a pair of red pants, fitting similar to the leggings I wore in my past life. During the performance, my feet would be bare, so I wore a simple pair of sandals that could easily be slipped off. 

"How do I look?" I joked, making a few silly poses. 

"Incredible," Evelyn complimented seriously. I stopped making poses, looking down in embarrassment. My personal maid never gave out needless praise, even if it would help her gain favor from her employers. That's what I liked about Evelyn, she was honest and kind, so when she said something, she meant it. 

"Thanks," I said, a small smile forming on my lips. 

A knock sounded on my dressing room door, and assuming that it was Elaine, I told the maid to open it without hesitation.